Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Jacques Wiener medal collection

FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 26, 2021 12:05PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Good morning all.

I have been wanting to do this for a while, might as well get started.

I want to get all of my medals posted online so that I can reference them when needed.
This will be a long drawn out post with lots of edits.
I am not going to push it to the top when I add things.

While this is mainly a useful thread for me to use, comments are definitely welcome.

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love what I see already.
    I'm excited to see what comes next.

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly a useful endeavor. I have a webpage on Filckr. Not only can I access information on my medals and coins through the wonders of its search engine, but if someone from the general public seeks information on a topic for whatever reason, they can, too.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2021 8:34AM

@Flatwoods I hope you don't mind me adding one of my own.

I have two Wieners. This one is sort of related to America. It is for the New Stairs of the Church of Staints Michael and Gudule in Belgium. 1857. 50mm bronze. Hoy-155. UNC with original Wiener Frères box of issue.

The reverse hails the marriage of Archduke Maximilian of Austria and Princess Charlotte of Belgium (future Emperor and Empress of Mexico).

I've always assumed it to be quite scarce as I've never seen another.

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Lovely medals! Thank you for sharing.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options

@pruebas I don't mind a bit ! I encourage it.
    Especially when it is something like that.
    Nice piece. I don't recall seeing it before.
    Is the Hoy-150 you mention in reference to Van Hoydonck 150 ??

• Options

@Flatwoods said:
    @pruebas I don't mind a bit ! I encourage it.
    Especially when it is something like that.
    Nice piece. I don't recall seeing it before.
    Is the Hoy-150 you mention in reference to Van Hoydonck 150 ??

@Flatwoods I believe that is the reference. I don’t have it myself, but I seem to remember that’s the author’s last name. Do you have a copy?

One day, I should stop in at the ANS and check their copy.

• Options

I do not have a copy of the Hoydonck work.
    The reason I asked is because I do not think your medal is Hoydonck 150.

• Options

You are correct! I transcribed the catalog description incorrectly. Hoy-155 (though unconfirmed).

• Options

Thanks @JohnnyCache! @Flatwoods needs to own that to go with his collection.

• Options

I'm going to bump this thread because I don't think people have seen all the new additions to the OP.

Fantastic collection!

• Options

Thank you sir!
    It's a slow go. I just take a few pics when I get time.

• Options

How do you take these breathtaking photos? A mirrorless camera?

• Options

A $50 dslr from eBay.
    Homemade copy stand.
    3 jansjo led lights
    A good macro lens
    Lots of practice

• Options
    KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dxd1995
    Nice set of Wiener medals, congrats. Hope to see your other medals soon.
    Thanks.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only one Wiener medal, but it isn't architectural. I hope to acquire some of his architectural work eventually, but I just couldn't pass on this one.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I like of these, are the one and two point perspectives, and great detail, it bring me back to my days at the architecture school, and doing this type of work by hand (no CAD existed yet back then), beautiful indeed!

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just had my newest Wiener medal arrive today. I haven't taken my own photos yet, so the sellers will have to do.

This is also my smallest Wiener medal coming in at just 30mm.

It's a Leopold, not Jacque.

Z

Wiener's 1885 Belgian World's Fair at Antwerp

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

Bumping this thread for two reasons.

First, there are so many more cool medals in the OP added since I last looked.

And second, I picked up this medal of Jacques Wiener today in Germany. It's the only medal of him that I have ever seen. Minted in 1949 for the centenary the first Belgian postage stamp, which I assume Mr. Wiener must have engraved.

• Options

Very cool!
    I have added a few but I must admit, I've been lazy lately.
    I will get the rest of them up eventually.

• Options
    Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    The Saint Paul's medal...in silver:

Is this your website?

http://www.historicalartmedals.com/

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Samuel8 said:

@Weiss said:
    The Saint Paul's medal...in silver:

Is this your website?

http://www.historicalartmedals.com/

No, just a coincidence.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

Extraordinary collection! Their condition is also superb! Thank you for sharing.

• Options

@Barberian said:
    My only Wiener medal so far...

It's a great start! Share pics if you acquire more!

• Options

@Knell said:
    @Flatwoods
    WOW! You have a wonderful sets of Cathedral Medals. Congrats! And the photos you took, I envy you. I wish I have the talent like you do in taking those photos.
    I hope you don't mind me sharing my cathedral medal collection mostly from Wiener but the photos are way nothing compare to yours. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your cathedral medals here.

Mostly by J.Wiener, followed by J.Davis, then Bianchi, and includes Wilkens, Terrugi and others.
    And of course, almost forgot St.Peter and St.Paul Cathedral in PA by Anthony Paquet in the single medal in purple color.
    I apologized for a NOT very good photos but my goal is to photograph them individually before end of this year.
    Thanks.

That's an amazing collection.....wow! I'm particularly intrigued by the set of 5 bronze medals in the circular configuration case. Are those Davis medals? The image is too small for me to tell.

• Options

@dxd1995 said:
    I love your collection sir! Now it's a difficult time to collect Wiener's medal since the price of them have gone up so much. When I browsed through auction records of these medals back in 2000s and 2010s I was shocked by how cheap they were back then!

Here's a box of Wiener's cathedral medals I recently acquired. I've got several more that I purchased individually over time. I'll try to find them and submit images if I can

Remarkable set.......I never saw one like that in such an original case. I've seen some other original cased configurations, but not that type. Great find! It seems fair to say that the publication of Ross's book on the European Edifices has probably been the biggest contribution to the prices of those medals increasing dramatically as you allude to.

Also, and somewhat off topic, it seems like some of the major auction house like Noonan's and Stacks have gotten particularly strong interest in some of their medals auctions. I'm not sure why.......does anyone have a possible explanation?

• Options
    numismagramnumismagram Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

@mmissinglink I've sold a number in the past on my website, and the market has really shifted over the past 3-4 years. I also lead the cataloging team in the world and ancient department at Stack's Bowers, and we have seen an increase in them being consigned—so much so that we generally have a specialized section of them in some sales. The next CCO in May (probably coming online in a week or so) will have a section of these—about 50 pieces in total. As coins have experienced higher prices, it has caused medals in general to also experience a bit of a renaissance, and things like Wiener medals are now being more appreciated—and rightly so.

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

• Options
    dxd1995dxd1995 Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited April 16, 2024 9:07PM

@numismagram said:
    @mmissinglink I've sold a number in the past on my website, and the market has really shifted over the past 3-4 years. I also lead the cataloging team in the world and ancient department at Stack's Bowers, and we have seen an increase in them being consigned—so much so that we generally have a specialized section of them in some sales. The next CCO in May (probably coming online in a week or so) will have a section of these—about 50 pieces in total. As coins have experienced higher prices, it has caused medals in general to also experience a bit of a renaissance, and things like Wiener medals are now being more appreciated—and rightly so.

Wow I didn't know you are with Stack's Bowers! Since I started to collect these medals (Wiener, Wyon and Roty etc.) from 2018, the prices of them have at least doubled. Now PCGS/NGC graded Wiener's Notre Dame medal is $1000 dollars :neutral: City of London series medals are now $500 - $2000 dollars.

@mmissinglink One important reason I can tell is the increasing interests from China. You'll be surprised by how many high quality, rare, nicest condition medals are being traded on Chinese version of eBay/Etsy. For example, several years ago a lot of Chinese collectors were crazy about Roty's helmet Marianne medal (especially the Bank of France centennial ones imgs in case you are interested), I immidiately saw a rapid increase in the auction prices of such medals on eBay.

• Options
    dxd1995dxd1995 Posts: 47 ✭✭

@mmissinglink I also own a copy of Ross's European Edifices book, I love it!