Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

8R metal flow

This happens because of poor strike pressure? Weight , size is good so I'm not inclined to think fake

I haven't looked at this in years. I'm pissed that it looks like my airtite insert was bad. Apologies for bad lighting.

E

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's pretty common on ancient coins. I think it looks nice myself. But I am used to it.

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

Ty..I definitely like it, it gives a good impression of the physics, forced involved in striking coins ...opposed to the common crushed strikes of today.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

During striking metal flows from the center outward and without a collar to provide the opposite force, you might see the flow lines closer to the edge.

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

The prominent flow lines are more indicative of an over-used die, than insufficient striking pressure. The lines get gradually worn into the die from the metal flow during the striking of many individual coins. This die pair must have seen quite a bit of use!

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worn die.

thefinn
  • Options
    John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

These are an indication the coin is genuine, rather than the other way around, since you wouldn't get them with a cast fake.

They add character to older coins that modern coins don't have.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnConduitt said:
    These are an indication the coin is genuine, rather than the other way around, since you wouldn't get them with a cast fake.

They add character to older coins that modern coins don't have.

It's an indication that the coin was die struck without a collar. It could still be struck with counterfeit dies. Additionally, if the coin above was used to create a casting mold, wouldn't the flow lines transfer onto the mold and the resulting cast would also contain them?

Some food for thoughts.

• Options
    John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 356 ✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2021 4:49AM

@TwoKopeiki said:
    It's an indication that the coin was die struck without a collar. It could still be struck with counterfeit dies. Additionally, if the coin above was used to create a casting mold, wouldn't the flow lines transfer onto the mold and the resulting cast would also contain them?

That's true, but there's not any single thing that would prove a coin is genuine. Flow lines are something you would expect on a genuine coin, but don't prove it isn't fake. They're just one of the features to look at.

The reason I mentioned it is because a fake is less likely to have them, which is contrary to what seems to be the OP's concern. Fakes are often cast, genuine coins are not. Even using the coin above for the mould, the casting process is likely to transfer less detail, and so not the flow lines. A fake might also be whizzed to remove bumps and casting bubbles, which would remove flow lines.