Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Tooth Fairy showed up today!

Bought a couple blasters of Allen & Ginter at Walmart today, and "pulled" this. This has to be the most interesting relic card I own.

Comments

• Options

@galaxy27
    My 4 year old daughter also is fascinated with sharks, and doesn't really care for cards otherwise Must be that baby shark thing! I might hold it, because maybe this will get her into cards with dad. However, she also has the attention span of a mosquito on Red Bull, so if she doesn't show anymore interest in my cards I would sell.
    Thanks
    Joe

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

pricing aside, thats a pretty cool card!

• Options

That is an awesome card, but it is going to take a very wealthy archeologist to bid 10 G on it!

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2021 12:31AM

Did it come from this tooth fairy? :blush:

https://youtu.be/WTEN0YCPT1Y?t=1097

Or this guy? Captain Floss sounds like one of those DuMont network shows...

https://youtu.be/3w2Ba1rsHAg

And I thought the presiding officer (Mother Nature) doesn't get a vote except to break a tie?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

I live on the Eastern coast. As a child in the 70s , I was such a wonderful swimmer. Always in the water! It never bothered me while swimming and seeing sharks. One day on the sunny beach I decided to swim to the shrimp boats , as they'd throw fish and other things off the boat. Till this day, I can't imagine doing that! 😆 Sharks were all around me eating the dead fish, even running into me lol. And I mean big fins! I wouldn't do that now to save my life! I look back and say I was lucky.
    One of the biggest Tiger shark 🦈 ever was caught here in south Carolina. It was almost 2 tons. I love watching sharks! That's an awesome card you have!!! 👍 Seriously like that! I like blue crab decor also!

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    i guarantee you if i chased a shark tooth and busted some A&G blasters, this is the kind of relic i'd pull

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224568439306?hash=item344952720a:g:-BYAAOSwTb1hFAYD

Does this count as a duel relic card now?

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Canes8387899101 said:

@galaxy27 said:
    i guarantee you if i chased a shark tooth and busted some A&G blasters, this is the kind of relic i'd pull

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224568439306?hash=item344952720a:g:-BYAAOSwTb1hFAYD

Does this count as a duel relic card now?

very perplexing. like if i sent that card in to be graded i wouldn't know whether to put decathlon shorts or victoria's secret panties

• Options

@Canes8387899101
    @blurryface

canes this will be of interest to you brother. now i'm glad we didn't consummate a deal, cuz i would have unintentionally lowballed the snot out of you.

a bull tooth is at two fiddy five!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393524355790

• Options

wow! never woulda thought that. ive visited many of florida i95 gas stations/gift shops. could buy the whole dusty shark tooth section for that. they are cool cards though!

• Options

@galaxy27
    Thank you for the information! I knew it was a 1/10 or less from looking it up, but wow! Nicer hit then I thought! I figured it might be a $100 card, and $150 at the most. It's a cool card, but I have a couple other projects/sets I'm working on, so maybe I will sell to fund other purchases.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2021 9:07PM

Way cool card! Is there a Great White version? I love sharks for some reason but they admittedly scare the pop tarts out of me!

• Options

@bobbybakeriv said:
    Way cool card! Is there a Great White version? I love sharks for some reason but they admittedly scare the pop tarts out of me!

Yes they are a 1/10 for a Great White, Bull, Tiger, and Mako Shark.

• Options

@galaxy27
    @blurryface
    Holy Chocolate Pop Tarts with Sprinkles! That was a crazy auction for the Bull Shark tooth card! Almost 6 Hundo!

• Options

@Canes8387899101 said:
    @galaxy27
    @blurryface
    Holy Chocolate Pop Tarts with Sprinkles! That was a crazy auction for the Bull Shark tooth card! Almost 6 Hundo!

wow! normally id call bullshark, but seeing as its /10 and the amount of folks that dig sharks, i could see a couple guys duking it out. per your card, in my vast but still limited knowledge of shark hierarchy, id put the tiger ahead of the bull. bull can swim up rivers though, but tigers are beasts and’ll eat anything.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@Canes8387899101 said:
    @galaxy27
    @blurryface

wow! normally id call bullshark, but seeing as its /10 and the amount of folks that dig sharks, i could see a couple guys duking it out. per your card, in my vast but still limited knowledge of shark hierarchy, id put the tiger ahead of the bull. bull can swim up rivers though, but tigers are beasts and’ll eat anything.

I go White, Tiger, Bull...well, Orca but that's not a shark just a shark eater! :) Great Hammerheads are in the mix for 3rd for me. Those things get huge. I read where the width of the head of a really big one can be 5 feet. Yikes.

• Options

@Canes8387899101 said:
    @galaxy27
    @blurryface

i was pretty close on the fmv of a card like that.................only about 500 bucks off

• Options

don't sleep on makos.........they can blaze. like cheetahs in water.

look at this bad boy tracking this boat down like it's nothing :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixEcbkYoGjI

• Options
    edited August 26, 2021 8:17PM

@galaxy27 said:

@Canes8387899101 said:
    @galaxy27
    @blurryface

i was pretty close on the fmv of a card like that.................only about 500 bucks off

ill be honest. i woulda enjoyed the rip & pulling it. but woulda been one of those cards i lay out and admire for a while before ultimately getting boxed up w similar cards/extras/commons i love but deem “no significant value” when i do my quarterly desk clean up. of course this is probably exactly where a few of my “whales” are sitting that i scour ebay daily for…. sitting right there in other collectors monthly clean up box. so yes, i woulda tremendously miscalculated its true worth too.

• Options

and for a proper visual:

• Options

@Historicalwood71 said:
    I live on the Eastern coast. As a child in the 70s , I was such a wonderful swimmer. Always in the water! It never bothered me while swimming and seeing sharks. One day on the sunny beach I decided to swim to the shrimp boats , as they'd throw fish and other things off the boat. Till this day, I can't imagine doing that! 😆 Sharks were all around me eating the dead fish, even running into me lol. And I mean big fins! I wouldn't do that now to save my life! I look back and say I was lucky.
    One of the biggest Tiger shark 🦈 ever was caught here in south Carolina. It was almost 2 tons. I love watching sharks! That's an awesome card you have!!! 👍 Seriously like that! I like blue crab decor also!

I lived in Hilton Head many years ago and did the same thing. I remember getting scared to death by a porpoise flying by me right behind a shrimp boat! Good times. I saw an 11 foot hammerhead on the dock there and that thing looked COLOSSAL. I can not imagine my horror if I ever physically witnessed the sheer size of a 20' Great White.

• Options

speaking of hammerheads, theres a great vid out there of “the shark” greg norman landing a huge hammerhead. mighta been close to a record. think its was 2-3 years ago maybe.

• Options

Couple of questions, since the board has a vast wealth of knowledge.
    1. If I decide to sell this card, how would you holder this card, and protect it. Blurry said we're going to need a bigger holder, but for real how are all of you who sell dealing with the thickness of cards like this?
    2. Probably will put it on here first, but if no one wants it here on ebay it will go. I haven't sold on ebay for a while, but from what I remember ebay sends a 1099 after $600 of sales now? So a BIN of $599, and free shipping avoids a 1099?

• Options
    edited August 27, 2021 10:38AM

@Canes8387899101 said:
    Couple of questions, since the board has a vast wealth of knowledge.
    1. If I decide to sell this card, how would you holder this card, and protect it. Blurry said we're going to need a bigger holder, but for real how are all of you who sell dealing with the thickness of cards like this?
    2. Probably will put it on here first, but if no one wants it here on ebay it will go. I haven't sold on ebay for a while, but from what I remember ebay sends a 1099 after $600 of sales now? So a BIN of $599, and free shipping avoids a 1099?

pretty sure number 2 starts next year. dont quote me. verbiage is kinda vague.

as you can see the best format is .99 auction. a lot of folks will pass by w a high buy it now. chum the waters w a 99 cent auction, draw more bidders/watchers in and then let the biggest shark win it. i would say now is the perfect time rolling off that one.

• Options

Thanks Blurry for the help! Anyone got advice what to use as a holder for this card? I've never sold and mailed a card that is this thick. I know how to safely pack normal cards, but this is not close to a normal size card.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

How thick is it?

• Options

@daltex said:
    How thick is it?

1/4-3/8 inch thick. It was the only card in the pack I pulled it in.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Canes8387899101 said:

@daltex said:
    How thick is it?

Will a really thick toploader work? I own them up to 180 Pt and I think they make 240 pt too.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@Canes8387899101 said:

@daltex said:
    How thick is it?

Will a really thick toploader work? I own them up to 180 Pt and I think they make 240 pt too.

Thank you DBesse! I will have to check into the 240 pt toploader. No idea if those are thick enough, but there is a card show in my area soon, so I'll check if any dealers have some.

• Options

I'm quite confused since I know absolutely nothing about ultra modern baseball card issues. Why in the heck would a baseball card company think it's a good idea to include shark card inserts in a baseball issue? I can certainly understand a card company producing an animal issue, but I'm getting the sense that baseball card companies have definitely "jumped the shark" if they're resorting to this kind of gimmickry! Anyone with me on this?

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@reelinintheyears said:
    I'm quite confused since I know absolutely nothing about ultra modern baseball card issues. Why in the heck would a baseball card company think it's a good idea to include shark card inserts in a baseball issue? I can certainly understand a card company producing an animal issue, but I'm getting the sense that baseball card companies have definitely "jumped the shark" if they're resorting to this kind of gimmickry! Anyone with me on this?

Allen and Ginter has been doing this for 15 years now.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Canes8387899101 said:

@daltex said:
    How thick is it?

I think those would go fine in a CS4. Ship well padded in a Priority Flat Rate envelope?

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

Dan, serious question, is there some kind of conversion chart for the "pt" system?

Maybe everyone but me has a basic working knowledge of the pt system already, but many times I see people type something like you did and it doesn't clear anything up for me. How many pt is a normal toploader for a vintage Topps card? How any pt is a heritage clubhouse collection card? Does pt thickness go up in increments of 10? 20? 40? etc...

Sincerely, pt challenged in N.Y.

• Options

@AANV said:

Allen and Ginter has been doing this for 15 years now.

I have never collected anything newer than 1982. For baseball, I always understood the modern era to be post-1980 when Topps' long run as the lone U.S. manufacturer ended but I may be mistaken. When did the ultra modern era begin and what distinguishing factor(s) set it apart from the modern era?

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

@DBesse27 said:

Dan, serious question, is there some kind of conversion chart for the "pt" system?

Maybe everyone but me has a basic working knowledge of the pt system already, but many times I see people type something like you did and it doesn't clear anything up for me. How many pt is a normal toploader for a vintage Topps card? How any pt is a heritage clubhouse collection card? Does pt thickness go up in increments of 10? 20? 40? etc...

Sincerely, pt challenged in N.Y.

One point is just 1/1000 inch.

No such details will spoil my plans...