Home Q & A Forum

Steel Pennies ? Can I sell them, and for what ?

MetalmanC33MetalmanC33 Posts: 5
edited August 13, 2021 11:10PM in Q & A Forum

I just pulled out these steels and copied on flatbed scanner. Man, I'm really disappointed on the 44. I have no idea when I got this but it must have been in the 60s. I have a brother that came into money and he avoids the subject... So, what do you have to say guys ? #Disapointed Thanks for your reply's. I still have lots of good stuff 🤔 Oh, the weight on the 44 is 2.9 to 3.0 I can see copper on the edge 😭 really thought I had something... Anyone interested in big bills ?

Comments

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can try here: https://forums.collectors.com/categories/buy-sell-trade-u-s-coins
    Most ungraded steel cents are worth less than $1.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• MetalmanC33MetalmanC33 Posts: 5
    edited August 14, 2021 9:35PM

I'm mostly interested in what to do with this 1944. I would think it has some collectors interest? This must have been faked in the 60s or very early 70s ? It's having a magnetic coating. It only shows copper on the edge and weighs 2.9 to 3.0. I'm guessing nickel/zinc? $? E/Bay ? Not Ebay... this can only go to a real collector and not a scammer !!!

• lcutlerlcutler Posts: 545 ✭✭✭✭

The thing is, a real collector is going to have no interest in an altered coin. Just like the altered copper coated 1943 steel cents have no value. I would just toss it in the wheat penny jar and forget it.

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure you can sell them. Just depends what you are asking. I've seen rolls for sale more frequently than singles. The better the condition - the more you can ask for them. I have over 20 rolls that I took out of circulation in the early 60's and even some of these are in ?? condition. Your photo's look nice, I'm sure you can check here and Ebay and facebook sites for a platform to sell. Nice looking coins.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members