Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

1874 and 1917 Note Help

A friend's father passed away and she found some coins and bills in their safe. These two have notes written on the reverse by her ancestors. I don't really collect currency so I'm not sure how to grade or value these for her. I'm sure she won't ever sell them, but I'd like to let her know what they're worth.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

The writing on these notes is referred to as annotations. The 1917 $1 legal tender $40-$50 partially due to the writing. The 25c Walker is around $8 same reasons.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally and respectfully, I would put more value on the family lineage than on any numismatic value. The notes themselves aren’t particularly valuable.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

The documentation on the 1917 $1 indicates that it belonged to a WW1 soldier in training in Wisconsin. These notes have stories to tell. Research the names and you will learn more of that story. That's the value in these and they are unique and priceless in that way.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    FropaFropa Posts: 71 ✭✭

I totally agree Steve. I would never part with something like that and I don't believe her family would either. I was just wanting to let her know if there was any Real monitary value that she would need to consider and pass on to whoever the notes get passed down to.

Thanks for the info TennisCoach.