Home Q & A Forum

I have a 1944 Steel/Zinc Penny that is in mint condition to sell.

Hi guys, I'm 65 and time to sell stuff I've collected over the years. I have a few Whitmen Penny Books full and I want this coin graded but don't want it out of my sight !!! Here are a few pictures.

Best Answer

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2021 4:04AM Answer ✓
    1. a steel cent weighs 2.70 grams - a bronze cent weighs 3.1 grams

You need it weighed to 0.1 grams if not 0.01 grams - find a local coin store

1. The pictures are dark

Post photos with a lot more light.
    Instead of posting them as files, you can A) drag and drop the images in the text area OR, b) click on the picture icon above the text area and browse to fine your photos files (the picture icon is the one that looks like mountains with a sun inside a frame)

1. You’re in the right website but need to get the right audience

Post in the us coin forum - https://www.forums.collectors.com/categories/u-s-coin-forum

1. You really, really need to get this right

Grading coins is not cheap. You’ll need a membership, pay grading fees, then pay shipping and insurance both ways

If it is plated or a counterfeit then you’ll have spent money on tuition for coin school

Get some more feedback before sending it in

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Answers

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many fakes of this coin exist. Years ago, they were plated and in the last 15-20 years, die struck fakes have been coming out of China. How did you go get it?

First thing to do is weigh it on an accurate scale, preferably one with a resolution of 0.01 grams. That should be able to identify a plated 1944 copper cent. Please note that a magnet test isn't necessarily conclusive as some plating processes may use a nickel strike coat before the final plating and nickel is magnetic

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • I filled the Whitmen books in the early 60s. Grandpa was the one that got me started before I started talking.(DOB 5/15/1956) He had a Steak House in the state Georgia. I have lots of old money, big bills too. This 44 is the real deal !!! I have the 43s also. I've never sold anything like this so I need to get this right !!! I live in SF east bay area. Thx for reply

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

for your paper money you can post here.

it is bet to post pictures of them from a flat bed scanner instead of a camera

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/u-s-world-currency-forum

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm seeing a little copper color in the nick on the rim in the second photo. Unfortunately, I think that it's plated.

Yes, a small, inexpensive digital scale will answer this question for $10-$20 and you won't have to let it out of your sight.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • I just pulled out these steels and copied on flatbed scanner. Man, I'm really disappointed on the 44. I have no idea when I got this but it must have been in the 60s. I have a brother that came into money and he avoids the subject... So, what do you have to say guys ? #Disapointed Thanks for your reply's. I still have lots of good stuff 🤔 Oh, the weight on the 44 is 2.9 to 3.0 I can see copper on the edge 😭 really thought I had something... Anyone interested in big bills ?

• JWPJWP Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures need to be lighter and clearer

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members