Home Q & A Forum
Options

Any input on this 1990 D quarter?

KathyKcKathyKc Posts: 7
edited August 11, 2021 5:24PM in Q & A Forum

I would appreciate any advice I can get. I know the shape is unfortunate but there has been a lot of back and forth on what caused it. Anyone have any idea?

Best Answer

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but your coin was damaged after it left the mint. Since it's not a mint error, trying to determine the exact cause of the damage may not be possible, but it looks like it was hit/punched by something. Notice the damage on the reverse opposite the punch mark. That tells you what whatever hit the coin occurred after it was struck by the die.

Hope this helps

Member of the ANA since 1982

Answers

• Options

Thank you very much!!

• Options

I was offered $250 for this coin. Is that a good offer?

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's $249.75 more than the coin is worth. I have no idea why someone would offer that much, but as long as you're not misrepresenting it as an error, and won't worry about what will happen when the buyer discovers it's worthless damage, than I would take the offer

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

The only reason they want it and offered that is because of the “unusual “ shape on it and to offer more than I had been offered previously. Thank you!!!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dent (damage) on the reverse pushed up the metal on the obverse. That would be a nice profit for a quarter but beware of the problems when selling a damaged coin that others may see as an error coin

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

I made it clear to them that it was damaged after it was minted and was not an error coin.

• Options

I have not decided if I even want to sell it or not.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

For that money take it and run!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

The honest in you perhaps wanting to spend it rather than take someone’s hard earned money?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

It’s actually the “pass down the unique coin to my daughter who also loves coins” thing more than anything. Although the “take the money and run” at that high of a price is a little bit appealing also if I am honest.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

In case anyone hasn't figured it out, it's an obscene alteration. I can't really tell how it's made from the photos. It could be a counterstamp or some kind of die that the coin was pressed into from behind.

This sort of thing exists from the 19th century and they are very collectable. But to get that value now for a modern coin is more than it might bring otherwise even years from now.

But if it's special to you then why not keep it.