Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

White gold or silver ring around my silver dollar?

Slapdoodle19Slapdoodle19 Posts: 12
edited August 11, 2021 8:23AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hello! I'll just start by saying I recently acquired this and some US Silver Eagles from a local auction. All had coin holders around them but easily removable. This one however has been soldered together, so it's just gonna sit like it is.

What I'm now seeing is that the numbers on the eyelet may intact say 825 instead of 925, think it's Sterling silver makes since to me.

After looking around online, 825 refers to gold so now I really wanna know. Anyone able to check these out and say whether it's 925 or 825?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I can see how it looks like 825 but I'm about 99.9% sure that it's .925, sterling silver. Gold is very rarely marked with a fineness of .825, if ever. This does not correspond to any popularly used gold fineness or karat marking.

And Mexico is a huge producer of sterling silver items.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin says it is 0.900 fine if you read it!

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭

that looks like 925 from Taxco Mexico

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

My interpretation of the images makes me think it says 925.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

The coin is definitely .900 fine.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a typical Taxco Mexico mark for sterling silver. Bezel is 92.5% and coin is 90%.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bezel is .925. The number just looks like 825 when viewed a certain way. Mexican silver jewelry from Taxco has been around for a long, long time and the marked jewelry should be good.

All glory is fleeting.