Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Apache 4800 Cases 25% off till 8/19

NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

The popular graded card case, Apache 4800 from Harbor Freight is on sale until 8/19. Just giving you a heads up if you need some more storage options. 5 different colors. They fit about 180 slabs per case with 4 full rows. Looks like it may be in store only.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=Apache 4800

https://www.harborfreight.com/4800-weatherproof-protective-case-x-large-black-64250.html

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you get the foam insert custom cut in rows for the cards and if so, can you post the dimensions?

I have ordered heavy duty Pelican V600 cases from Buy Cases for Less and get the foam insert custom cut into 4 rows which can hold up to about 120 packs.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

^ definitely all about the foam. curious too. i clicked and it seems the orange and tan ones can be ordered…

• NorcalNorcal Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info, but I am also curious about the foam?

I order my custom cut foam for the V600 cases for my packs from Pelican but not sure if this will work with these.

Here's a link:

https://www.pelicanfoam.com/project/334bae4e21622768&templateId

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Do you get the foam insert custom cut in rows for the cards and if so, can you post the dimensions?

I have ordered heavy duty Pelican V600 cases from Buy Cases for Less and get the foam insert custom cut into 4 rows which can hold up to about 120 packs.

@blurryface said:
    ^ definitely all about the foam. curious too. i clicked and it seems the orange and tan ones can be ordered…

@Norcal said:

These have the pick and pluck foam in them. They have two layers, each about 2” thick. Then about a 3/4” full layer on the bottom. Then an egg crate layer in the lid.

I can work on some dimensions tomorrow. I will also get some pics of mine. Just got it yesterday but it is similar to the Voyager case I already have a few of from here:

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-6-in-x-13-in-black-aluminum-case-69318.html

edited August 10, 2021 9:40PM

@NGS428 said:

@grote15 said:

@blurryface said:

@Norcal said:

These have the pick and pluck foam in them. They have two layers, each about 2” thick. Then about a 3/4” full layer on the bottom. Then an egg crate layer in the lid.

I can work on some dimensions tomorrow. I will also get some pics of mine. Just got it yesterday but it is similar to the Voyager case I already have a few of from here:

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-6-in-x-13-in-black-aluminum-case-69318.html

Pelican cases have similar pick and pluck foam but the DIY option never worked well for packs which is why I always had it custom cut which fits like a glove around the packs. They also treat the foam with a stiffener so it provides greater flexibility and resistance.

If you could provide dimensions for the card channels that would be great. I wonder if Harbor Freight offers a custom cutting option for foam inserts as I would personally prefer that option.

Here is a pic of my Pelican case for packs. The channels are deep enough also for most of the pack to be protected, too. Each piece of foam has 4 equal channels cut into it.

edited August 11, 2021 6:39AM

@grote15
    Card channel could be 5 blocks (2 1/2”) wide by 11 1/4” deep x 2” or 4” tall (if you use the single or both sheets of foam). Then the depth would extend above the foam into the cover. That can be up to 1 3/4” deep.

I have heard of some using Plasti Dip spray to coat the foam. I have not tried it yet, but it may not be a bad idea. I can see the foam in your pic is much more rigid, being that it is custom you can get a single strip between rows.

Thickness of all foam when stacked is 6.75”.

The 2 pick and pluck sections are 2 inches thick each, with the pluck out sections being 1/2”x1/2”x2” each.

Overall, the foam is fairly soft. Previously I tried just the single 1/2” row between PSA slab rows and it just broke down. The foam does seem a not more dense in this Apache case when compared to my Voyager case, so it may work better.

Overall dimensions of the foam are 17 3/4”x 12 1/2”.

Top foam

Empty case

I ordered the tan 4800 case today, excited to get it since I have been looking for something to store some of my psa cards safely and weathertight

@Norcal said:
    I ordered the tan 4800 case today, excited to get it since I have been looking for something to store some of my psa cards safely and weathertight

I liked the green case myself, but my OCD had me reaching for the ol black one.

@NGS428 said:
    @grote15
    Card channel could be 5 blocks (2 1/2”) wide by 11 1/4” deep x 2” or 4” tall (if you use the single or both sheets of foam). Then the depth would extend above the foam into the cover. That can be up to 1 3/4” deep.

I have heard of some using Plasti Dip spray to coat the foam. I have not tried it yet, but it may not be a bad idea. I can see the foam in your pic is much more rigid, being that it is custom you can get a single strip between rows.

Thickness of all foam when stacked is 6.75”.

The 2 pick and pluck sections are 2 inches thick each, with the pluck out sections being 1/2”x1/2”x2” each.

Overall, the foam is fairly soft. Previously I tried just the single 1/2” row between PSA slab rows and it just broke down. The foam does seem a not more dense in this Apache case when compared to my Voyager case, so it may work better.

Overall dimensions of the foam are 17 3/4”x 12 1/2”.

Top foam

Empty case

Thanks, I will check it out. I prefer to have the foam custom cut and probably can get that done once I match up the size of the case to the foam. The Pelican cases are exceptional in that regard, but these are cheaper so may be worth looking into for cards.

Update: I tried out the PlastiDip spray to strengthen the foam. While it did seem to strengthen it, the surface was too rough for my liking. Not something I would want to put my cards in.

Back to the custom made wood and felt insert…

I just got mine, a little bigger then I thought. Thinking about going down one size, but still unsure.

@Norcal said:
    I just got mine, a little bigger then I thought. Thinking about going down one size, but still unsure.

With 4 full rows in the 4800 you are probably looking at about 180 cards per case. Not sure what you are looking to store…

@NGS428 said:

@Norcal said:

With 4 full rows in the 4800 you are probably looking at about 180 cards per case. Not sure what you are looking to store…

Actually, After a little thought it’s perfect. It will be for graded PSA cards only.

edited August 28, 2021 7:28PM

@Norcal said:

@NGS428 said:

@Norcal said:

Actually, After a little thought it’s perfect. It will be for graded PSA cards only.

Here is what I did to create a better divider than the foam.
    I took out the foam in the cover and put in the 1” thick foam that was in the bottom.

I purchased a 5mm foam sheet at Hobby Lobby and lined the top with felt (also from Hobby Lobby).

I created a divider out of oak, giving 4 rows for cards. The top and sides of the dividers were lined with felt tape. I have a CAD file I drew up to show the cut lengths needed and a cut list. It also shows assembly. Let me know if anyone is interested in seeing it. Note: I do sleeve all my slabs, so the rows are a bit wider to accommodate the increases width.

Slip the assembly in and you have room for 204 sleeved slabs (possibly 212 or more un-sleeved). Cards hold nice and secure. You can use the pick and pull foam as filler for each row as needed.

Nice work, It looks great.I might just have to do this. The cards look way more secure then just using the foam.

• downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

I picked one . Haven’t put to use yet but interested I. All the ideas about creating the rows for my slabs

I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug

I bought one of these for $110 shipped on ebay which contains pre-cut foam for 4 rows of cards (about 180 slabs). Also comes with locks and keys, too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133843919991

edited August 29, 2021 9:25AM

@grote15 said:
    I bought one of these for $110 shipped on ebay which contains pre-cut foam for 4 rows of cards (about 180 slabs). Also comes with locks and keys, too.

The link goes to a $140 case is that the right one?

The case itself (not the foam insert) in the link is the $30 Voyager case from Harbor Freight. I have 2 of those too. Much different case than the Apache 4800, but it does work well.

I did the same customization to that case as I pictured on my last post. About $15 in supplies plus the case cost ($30 for the Voyager or $47 for the Apache 4800 on sale). $45 or $62 all in.

@NGS428 said:

@grote15 said:

The case itself (not the foam insert) in the link is the $30 Voyager case from Harbor Freight. I have 2 of those too. Much different case than the Apache 4800, but it does work well.

I did the same customization to that case as I pictured on my last post. About $15 in supplies plus the case cost ($30 for the Voyager or $47 for the Apache 4800 on sale). $45 or $62 all in.

I purchased mine for $110 after receiving an offer from the seller when I put the listing on my watch list.

In my case, I was looking for precut foam which protected the entire card rather than the DIY route.

@grote15 said:

@NGS428 said:

@grote15 said:

I purchased mine for $110 after receiving an offer from the seller when I put the listing on my watch list.

In my case, I was looking for precut foam which protected the entire card rather than the DIY route.

Yes, the foam does look nice! Should be a great case. My Voyager cases work great!

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice design Nic, but have you given any thought to taller dividers? If I did a project like that I would probably want my dividers about 2/3 of the way up the slab.

edited August 29, 2021 12:41PM

@nam812 said:
    Very nice design Nic, but have you given any thought to taller dividers? If I did a project like that I would probably want my dividers about 2/3 of the way up the slab.

Yes, that would be one thing I would consider if I were to modify it. But, with the cover closed, there is no way for the slabs to move, plus I have better access to the slabs.

You don’t see it in this picture, but I have tabbed divider card stock that sticks out to the right on top of each wood/felt row separator. The shorter divider allows me to have larger labels on the tabs.

Taller divider will also hit the vent knob bolt on the inside front. Not a huge deal since you can notch out for it, but it is something to work around.

Thanks for the question.