Home Q & A Forum
Options

Can I submit a coin to PCGS still in the mailing package?

MKUltra24MKUltra24 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭

I ordered some of the 2021 Morgan Dollars and I am wondering if I can submit them for grading without even opening the box they are mailed in?

The reason I want to do it is because it sort of guarantees that there was no physical contact with the coin if the box from the mint is still sealed.

Maybe it would help get the 70?

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't answer your question About the packaging, but unless there is something from the original box that could be used for things like first strike designation, or striking location (not sure these are even applicable for your coin), I would open it and inspect the coin. I've received a number of proof sets, mint sets, and commems over the years that were damaged or spotted, and returned them for replacement. No sense in spending the money to send a crappy coin for grading

Regarding grading; the coin gets graded, not the package. The graders are only spending a few seconds per coin and are never going to see the packaging.

Just my opinion

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes you can do it - it is done all the time and is in fact required for some designations.

But in your case, your reasoning is not valid. It will not help you get a 70, and you could well be wasting your time and money grading a coin that has obvious flaws.

• Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    I can't answer your question About the packaging, but unless there is something from the original box that could be used for things like first strike designation, or striking location (not sure these are even applicable for your coin), I would open it and inspect the coin. I've received a number of proof sets, mint sets, and commems over the years that were damaged or spotted, and returned them for replacement. No sense in spending the money to send a crappy coin for grading

Regarding grading; the coin gets graded, not the package. The graders are only spending a few seconds per coin and are never going to see the packaging.

Just my opinion

Oh wow they’ll actually replace it?

Because I would return it if I got a new coin.

I always thought they would just issue a refund since the coins are sold out.

But they’ll Mint extras for replacing?

• Options

@JBK said:
    Yes you can do it - it is done all the time and is in fact required for some designations.

But in your case, your reasoning is not valid. It will not help you get a 70, and you could well be wasting your time and money grading a coin that has obvious flaws.

What kind of flaws?

Doesn’t it come in a capsule to protect it? Any flaws would have to happen at the Mint right? In which case isn’t it only post mint damage that’s counted?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MKUltra24 said:

@JBK said:

What kind of flaws?

Doesn’t it come in a capsule to protect it? Any flaws would have to happen at the Mint right? In which case isn’t it only post mint damage that’s counted?

???

MS70 or PR70 means perfect, and most coins are not perfect when they leave the mint.

ANY flaws are counted not just PMD.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MKUltra24 said:

@Oldhoopster said:

Just my opinion

Oh wow they’ll actually replace it?

Because I would return it if I got a new coin.

I always thought they would just issue a refund since the coins are sold out.

But they’ll Mint extras for replacing?

No. If the mint is sold out or out of stock of such coin, they will give you a refund otherwise you can choose for the mint to send you a replacement if they have stock available.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@JBK said:

@MKUltra24 said:

@JBK said:

What kind of flaws?

???

MS70 or PR70 means perfect, and most coins are not perfect when they leave the mint.

Visible flaws such as the frosting starting to wear away from the die or pinpoint spots where the frosting is missing will not get a 70 grade.

• Options
    edited August 10, 2021 5:52PM

@Kliao said:

@JBK said:

@MKUltra24 said:

@JBK said:

What kind of flaws?

???

Visible flaws such as the frosting starting to wear away from the die or pinpoint spots where the frosting is missing will not get a 70 grade.

So then what are the odds of a 70 do you think if a bunch of random freshly minted coins were sent in?

Like if someone sent in 10 of them fresh from the Mint how many do you think would get a 70 on average?

I’m curious if it’s one of those 1 in 1000 things or more common like
    1 in 5.

I see tons of MS70 ASEs and those seem like 50% end up getting a 70 and 50% get a 69 because they’re everywhere.

• Options

I'm not too sure. It'll depend on how long the dies used to strike the coins have been used. A coin that is struck with older dies will have some imperfections like the coin below. It'll also depend on how lucky you are to get a coin that was struck with fresh dies or older dies.

For example, this coin will get a 69 grade. It's a 2020-W T2 proof that I got directly from the mint. There are 2 very tiny spots on the dress where the cameo finish is missing and also the cameo finish is starting to wear away on the right ray of the sun.