Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Why should I register a set?

I sent this to PCGS.Dennis Baker bake1980@gmail.com

4:43 PM (28 minutes ago)

to setregistry, bcc: me

I do not know if this is the venue to ask questions but here goes anyway. I just rejoined PCGS Acct #819251

I worked to build Morgan and Peace Dollar sets 15+ years ago. They have been sitting since and I decided I need to do something with them

Questions;

1). What is the benefit of registering my collections?
2). Do you only accept PCGS graded coins into the set registry?
3). I am still a little unclear after watching the video for set registry how that works and why I should do this.
4). I am actually thinking about selling the sets and wonder how that fits in with your programs.
5). For the Morgans I am only missing about 4 coins. I tried to purchase at the highest grades I could when I was making my purchases.
6). I have all the Peace dollars. They too are in very good grades.
7). My guess is that I have about 10-15% graded and the rest in books. I will be getting my free 8 grades but am fearful of that operation and process.
8). I am still perusing the website and thought I saw something about taking pictures of my coins and sending them in?

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

The realistic (or cynical) response is that there is no real reason to register a set. It is of value to PCGS to have more sets registered and more folks chasing PCGS coins, but no real value to you. The optimistic response would be that you might share your set with others more easily and may build relationships among like-minded folks.

Take your time. read up on things, ask questions and enjoy yourself, but the registry will not make your coins more liquid or valuable.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2021 6:12AM

You register because you want to register and share your collection with others. Or, to gain status of the collection.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2021 10:47PM

@theblake good advice from a
    Couple Of trustworthy and good forum members @lablover & @TomB
    And welcome To the boards
    Martin

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the Past
    with the Mercury dime set in the early years there was SO much support and encouragement between the members.
    It was much more fun then than now.
    That being said I still enjoy seeing some set advance and improve over the years!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

There are those among earthly humans that have little or no regard for Truth...

I discovered this one day when I got a request to release a coin in My Inventory that was listed for sale on eBay...

Seems there are those with little more to do than browse eBay listings and add cert numbers to see if they can get credit for their Sets - and the offender is now under investigation

Creating a Set Registry and adding to Your Inventory guarantees Your Ownership of all Cert numbers in Your possession

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use it to have a place to track my inventory (you can input non-pcgs coins, but they will not be included in an official competitive PCGS registry) and to host pics of my coins. You can then provide a link so that others can see your collection.

Regarding the competitive nature of the registry, that is not a reason for my collection or to utilize this feature.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    I use it to have a place to track my inventory (you can input non-pcgs coins..

If you are looking for value reasons to use the PCGS inventory and set registry, then here are a few. Some of the multi-million dollars PCGS collections use the registry as their sole source for maintaining inventory. It is free and you don’t have to buy a the party software. It automatically tracks the market price changes. For example, it will give you not only current value, but cost of the entire collection with a few clicks. You can quickly get a printed report. If the coin is in your inventory, you can rest assure no one else is using your coin for other purposes. There are a few others, but I know I sound like a registry salesman, which I am not. I have been been using the registry for more than 20 years and have about 1500 coins in the registry inventory. I would certainly hate to see it go away.

Seems there are those with little more to do than browse eBay listings and add cert numbers to see if they can get credit for their Sets - and the offender is now under investigation

I have seen this happen over the years but it is not wide spread. There is a new collection just posted with several sets with the 1804 PR68 that recently sold. With only one coin in the collection, it could be true or false. If it is false. PCGS will take it down.

Just a few of my thoughts

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004