Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Thoughts on sending this 1998 Michael Jordan Autographed Card to PSA

charlie23charlie23 Posts: 3

Hi there, I got this Michael Jordan autographed card and I am thinking to send it to PSA for dual grading.

It comes with the UDA certificate and has been in this case like forever but due to the age of this card, I think it would be a NM-MT 8 or a NM 7, or lower?

So Card and Auto grade? Or Auto grade only? Or just keep it in this case for good? Any thoughts?

Comments

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like a Cert sticker is on the back of the card - that’ll hurt the card grade, I would think. I’d leave it as is or just go for auto auth with PSA if you really want it in their slab for some reason (protection, resale, etc).

Jim

• @burghman said:
    Looks like a Cert sticker is on the back of the card - that’ll hurt the card grade, I would think. I’d leave it as is or just go for auto auth with PSA if you really want it in their slab for some reason (protection, resale, etc).

Thank you! Yes, it has the hologram sticker at the back of the card. One of the reasons is that although it has been in this original case forever, I can see that this card is ageing...I mainly want to slab it for better protection.

• jimqjimq Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2021 6:28AM

I don't know if the sticker is going to hurt the grade, I got this slabbed just to protect it and it didn't hurt the grade, but there's always the risk. I don't know if they will even grade the card, was it ever issued or is it just for USA?

• charlie23charlie23 Posts: 3
    edited August 7, 2021 7:21AM

@jimq said:
    I don't know if the sticker is going to hurt the grade, I got this slabbed just to protect it and it didn't hurt the grade, but there's always the risk. I don't know if they will even grade the card, was it ever issued or is it just for USA?

Thank you for sharing, super nice card that you have here! This card is one of those 3 x 5 issued by Upper Deck, after checking the PSA registry, it seems that this is a "1998 UD Authenticated Sixth Championship Jumbo" so I assume that it could be graded..

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@jimq said:

I meant it would hurt the grade of the card, not the auto. Your card with the sticker (very nice, by the way) only graded the auto, not the card itself. I’m not sure how PSA would treat a card with a foreign substance like a sticker attached if you tried to grade the card - I assume it will detract, but not sure if it’s the normal 2 grade hit that qualifiers used to result in.

Jim

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

I don’t think the ‘card’ grade on a 3x5 UDA Jordan auto is a factor. I would just holder it authentic and if you want to add auto grade, do that.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭

So here's the deal....If you send it in for just Autograph Encapsulation (like Reggie above), it will be $250 to authenticate the Jordan Auto (the cert doesn't count) and then $50 to grade the auto! If you send the card in for Trading Card authentication and grading, it will cost you $200 (not sure if there is a large case fee for the supersized card) for both the card and auto grading.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

i havent graded an auto card with a sticker in quite sometime, but as of a few years ago a cert sticker such as this did not hurt the card grade at all. with new ownership & direction that certainly could have changed. first thing first is get it outta that screwdown though! 😉

• steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

I would just the get it slabbed and auto authenticated. That's what is important in this case, not the card itself.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians