Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1977 Topps

I had an interesting week that I wanted to share. In 1977 when I lived in Frewsburg New York (8 years old), my dad used to take me to a corner grocery store to buy Topps baseball cards. Over time I found an affinity for Wacky Packages as well.

As an unopened collector, long ago I bought some of the standard offerings from 1977 to commemorate my childhood collecting hobby - 1977 unopened wax box, cello, some racks. Many moons ago I also researched which Wacky Packages I collected (not so easy). I learned over time that even though the year was 1977, I actually purchased 1975 series 15. I'm guessing the store manager had 2-year old inventory he was selling down. As the years rolled buy, I searched high and low for this particular box/series. Wacky Packages are extremely difficult to find unopened in original boxes. And if you do, the unopened box is usually a wreck. I never once saw the box I needed.

This week, thanks to our fellow board member, "Vagabond", he posted a video on August 2nd. At the 50:32 mark the video flashed by the familiar black 1975 series 15 box. The problem was I didn't see this video until yesterday. I frantically went to the BBCE website and there was no Wacky Packages box to be found, and it appeared many new baseball listings had appeared leftover from National. Man, I missed my chance.

Fast forward to tonight. I checked back and noticed piles of more listings on the BBCE site, along with my coveted box. I purchased it immediately.

That's not end of the story. I Googled Frewsburg and amazingly found a picture of the very convenience store where I started my collecting in 1977. I know this is a baseball board, but the whole story kind of mixes together (Baseball + Non-Sport).

Comments

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

I love 1977 Topps cards!

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭

Evening,

Great Story, similar to mine about my Father and my First foray into Non Sports with 1962 Mars Attacks at the first 7-11 in Sacramento!

How much did BBCE charge you for that box? I'd really like to see picture of that 7-11 from 1962-63!

Thanks

YeehaW!

Neil

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

very cool. great roller coaster ride w/ a safe and happy ending. funny how it all comes together like that? 😉

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭

@thedutymon11 said:
    Evening,

Great Story, similar to mine about my Father and my First foray into Non Sports with 1962 Mars Attacks at the first 7-11 in Sacramento!

How much did BBCE charge you for that box? I'd really like to see picture of that 7-11 from 1962-63!

Thanks

YeehaW!

Neil

$3k

• Options
    KurtisJosephKurtisJoseph Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

As mentioned, it was $3K. A lot for stickers, but I'm just glad it wasn't the 1st Series box from 1973. It's on the site for $45,000 :wink:

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@thedutymon11 said:
    Evening,

Great Story, similar to mine about my Father and my First foray into Non Sports with 1962 Mars Attacks at the first 7-11 in Sacramento

Thanks
    YeehaW!a> Neil

Cool! I bought my first pack of cards at a 7-11 in Midwest City, Oklahoma in 1975. My Mom used to let me buy a pack of cards with the change returned each time I rode my bike to the grocery store for her to get something she needed (about twice a week). 7-11 was on the way back from the local IGA and I think packs were a whopping $.15...if only. :) The first card I ever pulled was a '75 Rowland Office. The next year I mowed grass, etc. and bought plenty of 76s. By '77, I was completely hooked. I remember sitting on the floor at TG&Y rummaging through $.59 cent '77 Topps FB Cellos looking for all-pro's on the front or back. LOL Mint Paytons weren't quite as valuable back then...this is the very store! I think that is Ted Bundy's VW parked along the side of the building?

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2021 8:23PM

Oh man, i didnt collect them but those wacky packages brought back memories.

I bought my first cards at K-B Toys at Mellet Mall in Canton, Ohio. 1976.

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

Is that a contemporary photo of the Frewsburg Pharmacy or is it something else now? Most of the places I bought cards from then are gone, now. The buildings are all still in place but now they're insurance offices, pharmacies and the like.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2021 3:27AM

Great! I opened a 15th series box back in 2004, but I still have the display box and a couple of individual packs.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2021 3:35AM

I also have a bunch of PSA 9 15th series titles I submitted from that very box for sale if you are interested:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1060273/for-sale-psa-graded-wacky-packages