Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Spanish Colonial 1/4 Real

Does anyone know where these were minted and/or where they primarily circulated? Thx!

Comments

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would expect that if it can be attributed, NGC would have noted it on the holder. You can also compare it to other similar coins, such as sold by Sedwick auctions. He has sold at least a few but he doesn't have a searchable archive. You have to go through each catalogue.

I own a ND without mint mark of the 1796-1823 design which is attributed to Colombia. I don't have it with me but it was purportedly struck between 1756 and (I think) 1796. It's Restrepo 2.1 though I do not have this reference.

I have also seen many others without date or MM, both with the design of your coin and with mine, attributed elsewhere: Philippines, Venezuela, Argentina, Bolivia..... and that's what I can remember. In auction descriptions, I have also read that some of these have been attributed to more than one location, presumably because no one actually knows.

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

@WCC said:
    I would expect that if it can be attributed, NGC would have noted it on the holder. You can also compare it to other similar coins, such as sold by Sedwick auctions. He has sold at least a few but he doesn't have a searchable archive. You have to go through each catalogue.

I own a ND without mint mark of the 1796-1823 design which is attributed to Colombia. I don't have it with me but it was purportedly struck between 1756 and (I think) 1796. It's Restrepo 2.1 though I do not have this reference.

I have also seen many others without date or MM, both with the design of your coin and with mine, attributed elsewhere: Philippines, Venezuela, Argentina, Bolivia..... and that's what I can remember. In auction descriptions, I have also read that some of these have been attributed to more than one location, presumably because no one actually knows.

Thanks! Appreciate the insight.