Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Post a condor token

Show us your best.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

Halsall Copper Penny, 1784-1787

Soho Mint, Birmingham (manufacturer Matthew Boulton). 16.40g. Arms of the Earls of Peterborough (Lancashire D&H 1).

Perhaps the first copper token of the industrial revolution and possibly the first coins produced by Matthew Boulton of the Soho Mint in Birmingham. They were minted to pay the workers at Colonel Charles Mordaunt’s cotton mill in Lancashire. Mordaunt had set up a cotton mill and was talking to Boulton and Watt, of Soho, Birmingham, about the supply of an engine to power it.

Like many industrialists, he was low on cash to pay his workers, and in 1783 wrote to Boulton about the manufacture of a die stamp to create these tokens. At this time, Boulton made coin weights but had no mint. He would soon become one of the biggest producers. Halsall's token was out of circulation by 1791, when heavier tokens like those from the Parys Mine Company had replaced it.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:
    Not only my best Conder token. My only Conder token.

And a mighty nice one at that, Lord M! Whomever you bought that from must have exquisite taste to match your own!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options

One of my favorites with the iconic Druid Head motif.

Kind regards,

George

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2021 10:55AM

What is the best reference of Condor tokens?
    I saw a specimen at a show that the dealer wanted way too much for.
    I can’t remember the county, but there was a bust of George III.
    Anybody know what that might be?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

@farthing said:
    The "bible" for the series is "The Provincial Token-Coinage of the 18th Century" by Richard Hamer and Samuel Hamer (D&H). Originally part of the book serially released between 1910 and 1918 it is still the standard reference. The last reprint was done in 2015 by Bill McKivor. Earlier reprints were done by Alan Davisson (twice?) and one other in 1967. There are no price current price guides, Schwer did one in the early 80's and Paul & Bente Withers of Galata Press may have included prices for these in one of their guides.

As far as the token with the bust of George III there are 124 different tokens catalogued by D&H that feature a bust of the King, more than that if you include those with Queen Charlotte or a conjoined bust of GIII with a donkey.

One of my favourites featuring George III: Middlesex National Series #183 in white metal

Thanks for the information.
    I see that McKivor died in March.
    Any idea where I might find a copy of his book?
    Kolbe & Fanning don’t have the most recent edition.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:

@lordmarcovan said:
    Not only my best Conder token. My only Conder token.

And a mighty nice one at that, Lord M! Whomever you bought that from must have exquisite taste to match your own!

Kind regards,

George

Exquisite, indeed. ;)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman said:

@farthing said:
    The "bible" for the series is "The Provincial Token-Coinage of the 18th Century" by Richard Hamer and Samuel Hamer (D&H). Originally part of the book serially released between 1910 and 1918 it is still the standard reference. The last reprint was done in 2015 by Bill McKivor. Earlier reprints were done by Alan Davisson (twice?) and one other in 1967. There are no price current price guides, Schwer did one in the early 80's and Paul & Bente Withers of Galata Press may have included prices for these in one of their guides.

As far as the token with the bust of George III there are 124 different tokens catalogued by D&H that feature a bust of the King, more than that if you include those with Queen Charlotte or a conjoined bust of GIII with a donkey.

One of my favourites featuring George III: Middlesex National Series #183 in white metal

Thanks for the information.
    I see that McKivor died in March.
    Any idea where I might find a copy of his book?
    Kolbe & Fanning don’t have the most recent edition.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Provincial-Token-Coinage-of-the-18th-Century-by-R-Dalton-and-S-H-Hamer-/273768155282?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

• Options
    HCHC Posts: 100 ✭✭

My Favorite are the Hanging Men. Probably the most crossed over to the American market due to the Thomas Paine references. I understand there are about 30 or so varieties

but this is my favorite.

• Options
    HCHC Posts: 100 ✭✭

I would like to find DH 836 and DH 1108 Please let me know if you have one to sell or trade? Thank you

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

I have a few, but this is the one I have a decent photo of.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2021 6:54PM

Nice ones, all!
    Anybody got another example with the bust of George III?

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

The following commemorates Lord Duncan's victory over the Dutch on October 11 1797 and the thanksgiving service at St. Paul's Cathedral attended by George III on December 17th. Catalogued as Middlesex National Series DH #197

R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options

Resurrecting this unjustly moribund thread, even though I die a little inside every time I see Conder misspelled. Just because I'm OCD doesn't mean I don't count don't count don't count ...

Great Britain 1796 Halfpenny Conder Token, Gloucestershire, Badminton, Sheaf-Balance DH-48 MS64BN PCGS. Obv. Wheat sheaf, A below, RELIEF AGAINST MONOPOLY. Rev. Pair of scales, 6-1/2 lb, BREAD FOR 1s APRIL 1796 | GOD BE PRAISED. Lovely blue and green with almond patina. PCGS Population: 2 in 64 BN, 0 finer (7/2022).

Background: The Badminton series are not currency tokens and are all fairly scarce, according to the Dalton & Hamer update by Bill McKivor dating from 2015. They commemorate the Duke of Beaufort who lessened the price of wheat during a period of scarcity of corn. Engraved by Willets, made by Kempson.

Enjoy!

Kind regards,

George

• Options

Great Britain 1796 Halfpenny Conder Token, Middlesex, Stag-Plow DH-1041, MS64RB PCGS. Obv. A stag, FREEDOM WITH INNOCENCE. Rev. A plough. INDUSTRY * SUPPLIETH WANT, in exergue 1796. E: YABLE IN LONDON, the rest engrailed. Beautiful color and luster make this adorable design attractive and worth a premium. PCGS Population: 2 in 64RB, 3 finer (7/2022).

Enjoy!

Kind regards,

George

• Options
    edited July 7, 2022 2:57PM

Wales 1791 Halfpenny Conder Token, Anglesey Druid Head-PMCo Cypher, DH-387, Bronzed PR63BN PCGS. Atkins-207. Obv. Druid’s head wreathed by oak leaves and acorns. 18 acorns. Rev. 1791 atop PMCo cypher for Parys Mining Company, THE ANGLESEY MINES HALFPENNY around. 1 between T and H. Edge: PAYABLE IN ANGLESEY OR LONDON. A beautiful glossy medium-brown proof, somewhat darker than the PCGS Trueview. PCGS Population: 1 in PR63BN, 0 finer (7/2022).
    Ex: Spink Auction (December 1979), lot 265. With auction ticket noting “Parys Mine Co. proof.”

• Options

Great Britain 1797 One Penny Conder Token, Gloucestershire, Gloucester, New County Gaol DH-10 MS64BN PCGS. Obv. Gated building THE NEW COUNTY GAOL. Rev. Arms with CITY TOKEN flanking, ARMS OF GLOCESTER (sic), 1797 at bottom, R. KEMPSON FECIT in small letters nearby. PCGS Population: 2 in 64BN, 0 finer (7/2022). Comes with old-time collector’s envelope from Schwer Coins in Felixstowe, Suffolk, where this token is marked “Scarce.”

Background: Much like the Middlesex buildings of Kempson, this Gloucestershire series shows various building views. A new reverse die, lacking CITY TOKEN, with GLOUCESTER spelled properly, and signed OTTLEY in script, dates from the 19th century.

• Options
    RedSealsRedSeals Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS MS64BN

From PCGS CoinFacts:

The Washington Grate Halfpenny is part of the series of merchant tokens and collector coins produced in England in the late 1700s. Collectively, these coins are known as Conder tokens. Some Conder tokens offered themes that related directly to the American Colonies or the United States. This particluar piece, because of the portrait of George Washington that appears on the obverse, has been accepted into the canon of U.S. colonial coins, though the striking date was late and the association loose.

The Grate Halfpenny derives its name from the fireplace grate on the reverse of the coin. This was meant to evoke the comfort and warmth of the home setting. On this variety, the edge is not lettered, but shows a diagonal reeding. The Large Button variety refers to the button on Washington's coat -- compare and contrast with the Small Button variety (PCGS #749).

The Grate Halfpenny is a relatively common coin, but true Mint State examples are somewhat scarce. The finest examples certified by PCGS rate MS65BN. Red-Brown examples represent a small fraction of the known population.

Successful BST Transactions with: PerryHall, MrSlider, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Blu62vette, robkool, gowithmygut, coinlieutenant, Downtown1974, MilesWaits, Shrub68, justindan

• Options
    edited July 12, 2022 4:29AM

Great Britain 1794 Halfpenny Conder Token, Somersetshire, Bath, Bladud-Urn DH-39 MS64BN PCGS. Obv. Figure of Bladud facing left with bow and quiver, around SUCCESS TO THE BATH WATERS | BLADUD FOUNDER OF BATH. Rev. A tea urn with IRONMONGERY BRAZIERY & CUTLERY, F. HEATH and date 1794 in exergue. Edge: PAYABLE BY F. HEATH BATH. This is an extremely appealing and sharply struck example with bluish-red patina and some muted mint red remaining. PCGS Population: 3 in 64BN, 0 finer (7/2022).

Background: Bath was originally an ancient Roman city named Aquae Sulis "waters of Sulis," the Celtic goddess whom the Romans identified with Minerva. Bath is considered the only geothermal hot springs in the United Kingdom and is among the most-visited towns in England.