Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Early Issue vs First Strike

I can't seem to find a definition for Early Issue PCGS label. How does it compare to First Strike? Registry-wise, does EI count as FS?

Comments

• Options
    JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2021 12:30AM

At this point the FS or FDOI label is inconsequential...

I believe (as You may) that the FS or FDOI label should have an importance...but currently it has no added bonus for ranking/rating

There may be a difference in PCGS-stated value

I have FDOI and FS coins in My 2020 Proof Set - both types have 71 rating just like any PR70DCAM label would

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not particularly interested in the merits of the label, just the definition and if the registry considers EI to be a subset of FS or even "more desirable" or "less desireable." There are First Strike sets and I would like to know if EI would qualify for a FS set. And again, I'd like to know what qualifies a coin for "Early Issue."

• Options

No one has a definition for Early Issue?

• Options
    JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Not sure I've ever seen a Early Issue label...

First Day Of Issue (A coin presented to PCGS with certification it was purchased on the first day offered)
    First Strike (A coin presented to PCGS within first 30 days of production)
    Early Find (for the MS 2019/2020 quarters)

Currently the Set Registry doesn't give bonus points or separate distinctions for any label just for the labels

The "knows it all friend" every one has called The Goog may have a definition You prefer

www.google.com

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

Does it really matter whether it is a First Strike or Early Issue? These coins are just bullion anyway.

• Options

@mrcommem said:
    Does it really matter whether it is a First Strike or Early Issue? These coins are just bullion anyway.

It might matter for registry First Strike Status. I get that a FS set is First Strike only but if Early Issue is better than FS then maybe EI could count for FS?

Plenty of examples can be seen on ebay. Just search for "PCGS Early Issue."

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is an example of early Issue label. It is for coins issued early to dealers as far as I can tell. This one does qualify as First Strike according to the certificate verification and Coin Facts. As @Jonjet correctly stated there is no real point difference, but there are some sets exclusively for first strikes.

I see these labels on some buffaloes, some breast cancer commemoratives, etc. As far as value, some pay a little more for FDOI and First Strike and these are similar. The populations of coins in various labels sometimes affect price. This coin has 35 different die varieties (labels) in Coin Facts, First Strike Early Issue, Premier, various signatures, etc, the Early Issue is just another one of many.

• Options

Thank you Goldminers. Would be nice if PCGS would publish a reference with all of their different labels and meanings.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:
    Thank you Goldminers. Would be nice if PCGS would publish a reference with all of their different labels and meanings.

This is a partial list. Dealers have many other special labels they dream up that PCGS does allow. The list of ALL special labels would be nice, but I have not seen one.

https://www.pcgs.com/labels