Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mexico War of Independence - 1814 Zacatecas 8 Reales

TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 3, 2021 10:38AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Recent inexpensive pick-up from Great Collections. Notoriously crude and weakly struck issue. What I liked about this coin, other than the price, was that you can still see the remains of the die sinker guide lines on the reverse, which gives you an insight into the die production processes back in the day. You can best see it above and below the legend in "8R Zs"

Comments

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

That definitely seems like a case where the strike significantly limited the grade. Those denticles and details around the edges look at least VF to me.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

@neildrobertson said:
    That definitely seems like a case where the strike significantly limited the grade. Those denticles and details around the edges look at least VF to me.

Seems like this one was graded a while back when their graders didn't have a lot of experience with W4I coins. The grade would probably come back higher now, not that I would spend money to resubmit something like this.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

the graders should know or otherwise learn

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

Here's a better view of the guide lines:

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2021 10:35AM

If you want to see guidelines, check out a Muera Huerta peso.

• Options

That's pretty cool, @MasonG Looks like there were some guide lines for rays, too. Do you know if these were punched into the die individually, or as a cap/rays single element?

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know. If I had to guess, I'd think maybe as a single element with guideline(s) for radial alignment. Again, that's just a guess.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    That's pretty cool, @MasonG Looks like there were some guide lines for rays, too. Do you know if these were punched into the die individually, or as a cap/rays single element?

I don't know either, but given the woeful conditions in which these were made, I would not be surprised if each die was individually hand engraved without hubs.