Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

eBay question selling

So i sold something for 500 and tracking shows it arrived last week. Buyer opens a case saying tracking shows delivered but nothing was in the mail box. Am i covered by ebays seller policy or will the buyer win this case and I’m out the money? I also feel the buyer is lying with a huge sob story.

Comments

• Options
    professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

you are covered.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

part of it depends on the buyers history, if he opens cases often, you should win the case

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

without question, the very first thing I would do is get on the phone and get in the ear of an ebay rep.

lay it out and they'll assist.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks guys just called. They basically said I can’t loose with tracking provided. And buyer is toast.

• Options

Some people will lie and try you out! Don't ever fall for that bs. This world is scamming everyone and everything in life. I Guess the postal worker stole it huh? Geez smh... Some people

• Options

Said it was for a dying family member and a bunch of other lines.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2021 3:39PM

@handyman said:

when someone on ebay is unable to fulfill their obligations like a normal, functioning human being due to a death in the family, 99.27% of the time said deceased individual has, on average, died 50 times yet is, amazingly, still alive

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

@handyman said:

when someone on ebay is unable to fulfill their obligations like a normal, functioning human being due to a death in the family, 99.27% of the time said deceased individual has, on average, died 50 times yet is, amazingly, still alive

Totally agree. It's ridiculous how sad people can be. There are many people like this and they are among us. They'll snatch a purse from your 90 year old grandmother and kick her when she is down on the ground.

• Options

you are covered. Depending on the buyer , ebay may cover them as well but not out of your pocket.

as for the postal worker stole it, having this happen to me about 10 years ago on $1K worth of 64 stand ups I will confirm this does happen. Seller used a PSA box and the box arrived empty with the tape slit. So for anyone who uses interlocking boxes, BE SURE TO COVER TO COVER THE ENDS WITH YOUR LABEL so it is obvious if someone opens it.

That said , I received a box from 4sharp corners a few weeks ago where they didn't even tape the PSA box. I couldn't believe the cards were still in it when it arrived.

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

If I was dying the last thing in the world I would care about would be something you can buy on ebay.

You're covered as long as the scan shows delivered in the correct zip code. You might be at risk of bad feedback though. I would hate to spend $500 and have it delivered to the wrong mailbox.

• Options
    kobefan1kobefan1 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

I had someone do this to me the tracking said delivered but buyer says nothing was there ebay said case closed I won.

• Options
    Mo_MentumMo_Mentum Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:

@galaxy27 said:

@handyman said:

Totally agree. It's ridiculous how sad people can be. There are many people like this and they are among us. They'll snatch a purse from your 90 year old grandmother and kick her when she is down on the ground.

You forgot about the part where when they kick her to the ground, her blood splatters on their Nike Air Max Eminem 97s and upon winning their civil lawsuit for damages, are awarded a $50,000 judgment against your 90 year old grandmother.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2021 9:22PM

never assume you are covered. i forget what the threshold is, but i got screwed outta $1999.99 and the card was delivered via fedex. guy even signed for it. he lost the ebay case, but won the bank/paypal case. ebay said i was “covered”. “covered” meant i wouldnt be liable for repaying the $1999.99. problem is, they sucked that money outta my account the second the case was opened. after the bank closed their case, 3 months later i might add, i never had that money put back into my account by “ebay seller protection”. 10+ year history w ebay, near 3k flawless rating. they will cover $20 here even $50 there type stuff. once that threshold, might be $500+, you are sol.

• Options

@blurryface said:
    never assume you are covered. i forget what the threshold is, but i got screwed outta $1999.99 and the card was delivered via fedex. guy even signed for it. he lost the ebay case, but won the bank/paypal case. ebay said i was “covered”. “covered” meant i wouldnt be liable for repaying the $1999.99. problem is, they sucked that money outta my account the second the case was opened. after the bank closed their case, 3 months later i might add, i never had that money put back into my account by “ebay seller protection”. 10+ year history w ebay, near 3k flawless rating. they will cover $20 here even $50 there type stuff. once that threshold, might be $500+, you are sol.

I totally believe you....I just don't understand what you are saying. The bank made their own decision and you were SOL because of it?? You would think the bank would have to be convinced of a wrongdoing to give him the money? Delivered and he signed for it?????

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2021 1:10PM

@handyman said:

Henry Blake:
    [pulling out Klinger's file] Here we go. Father dying, right?

Klinger:
    Yes, sir.

Henry Blake:
    [going through letters in Klinger's file] Father dying, last year. Mother dying, last year. Mother and father dying. Mother, father, and older sister dying. Mother dying and older sister pregnant. Older sister dying and mother pregnant. Younger sister pregnant and older sister dying. Here's an oldie but a goody; half of the family dying, other half pregnant.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

@Mickey71 said:

@blurryface said:

I totally believe you....I just don't understand what you are saying. The bank made their own decision and you were SOL because of it?? You would think the bank would have to be convinced of a wrongdoing to give him the money? Delivered and he signed for it?????

try to give a short condensed version. guy was in canada. but had his registered address to his bro in law down in orlando, fl. the day after the item was dropped off he opened the case w ebay saying he didnt get the package. ebay sucked that money outta my account immediately and held. i shipped w fedex, even had direct/adult sig required. proof of delivery was seen and the money was reimbursed. 48 hours later a banking>paypal>ebay case was opened initiated by his bank. this time however he changed his tune (since it was delivered and signed for to his address on file) and said he didnt order it and no one was authorized to do so. that money was resucked back outta my account. and since his bank has the final say so, the money that was sucked outta my account was returned back to him. and since he said he never ordered it, was not required to return my card in order to get his refund. so i was left w/o getting paid or having my card returned. the best part is that ebay nor paypal would give me one iota of the banking institution so that i could forward the particulars or the fact that he lost the ebay case and more importantly changed his story.

when i called about getting reimbursed by ebays seller protection, i could never get an individual on the phone. and i tried hard simply for principal. and i when i say “i tried”, i mean i tried! i hate a effin thief. anyways, the only resolve i got from ebay was an email stating “the bank has found in the sellers favor, he has been reimbursed but the good news is that you are covered by ebays seller protection and that i would not be required to pay that money back”. heres the important part…the fundamental problem with that is that they sucked the money outta my account months prior when the cases where initially opened. i never got that money back. well i did when ebay case was closed in my favor but then taken right back out when he opened the case directly w his bank. dude got the card and was reimbursed w the money that was sucked back outta my account and placed on hold from ebay.

• Options

try to give a short condensed version. guy was in canada. but had his registered address to his bro in law down in orlando, fl. the day after the item was dropped off he opened the case w ebay saying he didnt get the package. ebay sucked that money outta my account immediately and held. i shipped w fedex, even had direct/adult sig required. proof of delivery was seen and the money was reimbursed. 48 hours later a banking>paypal>ebay case was opened initiated by his bank. this time however he changed his tune (since it was delivered and signed for to his address on file) and said he didnt order it and no one was authorized to do so. that money was resucked back outta my account. and since his bank has the final say so, the money that was sucked outta my account was returned back to him. and since he said he never ordered it, was not required to return my card in order to get his refund. so i was left w/o getting paid or having my card returned. the best part is that ebay nor paypal would give me one iota of the banking institution so that i could forward the particulars or the fact that he lost the ebay case and more importantly changed his story.

when i called about getting reimbursed by ebays seller protection, i could never get an individual on the phone. and i tried hard simply for principal. and i when i say “i tried”, i mean i tried! i hate a effin thief. anyways, the only resolve i got from ebay was an email stating “the bank has found in the sellers favor, he has been reimbursed but the good news is that you are covered by ebays seller protection and that i would not be required to pay that money back”. heres the important part…the fundamental problem with that is that they sucked the money outta my account months prior when the cases where initially opened. i never got that money back. well i did when ebay case was closed in my favor but then taken right back out when he opened the case directly w his bank. dude got the card and was reimbursed w the money that was sucked back outta my account and placed on hold from ebay.

Since payments are now thru eBay Managed payments and no longer PayPal, would that have protected your money since eBay ruled in your favor? Thus, no 3rd party such as PayPal for the bank to get the money from?

• Options

@nymutts said:

Since payments are now thru eBay Managed payments and no longer PayPal, would that have protected your money since eBay ruled in your favor? Thus, no 3rd party such as PayPal for the bank to get the money from?

thats a great question. i really hadnt stuck around to find out after that. if i do happen to sell anything over the $499 mark these days, i do a full google search on the user prior to shipping. i also message prior to shipping to confirm the mailing address. not really for confirmation, but just to have record and a reply that they did in fact order the card.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

USPS can pull the GPS coordinates of the delivery location where the package scanned. call their local branch and give them the tracking number, they should be able to prove not just a yes/no delivery, but if it was even delivered to the correct location. that can only further help your case if it was indeed delivered properly.

I had a package show delivered, but the buyer couldn't find it anywhere. I called his local post office in NC and they verified with coordinates that the package was indeed scanned in front of the buyers house. he went out again to check and there it was. mailman scanned it with some other packages but forgot to put it in the box the first time around.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

Had a hold of funds on my account for over 11 days. Buyer gave me 3 new stories day by day as well.

"We reviewed this case and have closed it without any refund to the buyer.

The case will not affect your seller performance. Any feedback left for this transaction will be removed.

We received tracking information that shows the item was delivered to the buyer's address."

• Options

@blurryface said:

@Mickey71 said:

@blurryface said:

That is just simply awful. Very sorry that this happened to you.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

I would call the local post office too. I had two packages from different sellers say they had been delivered, but I never received. I contacted the local PO, and within 24 hours or so had the packages to me. Basically, there was a sub mailman doing my route that week, and my packages inadvertantly went to a neighbor. Sad thing is, the neighbor opened up the packages, but I guess was to lazy to figure out they belonged to someone else. One package was a baseball card, the other was a personal hygiene item that you typically wouldn't talk to your neighbors about. The mail lady that delivered our stuff to us apologized several times to us.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2021 8:12AM

@handyman said:
    Had a hold of funds on my account for over 11 days. Buyer gave me 3 new stories day by day as well.

The case will not affect your seller performance. Any feedback left for this transaction will be removed.

We received tracking information that shows the item was delivered to the buyer's address."

IMHO keep zero balance in your eBay account so when the crooked buyer places a case with his card issuer/bank they will have nothing to take from you.

• Options

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

@handyman said:

IMHO keep zero balance in your eBay account so when the crooked buyer places a case with his card issuer/bank they will have nothing to take from you.

Not good info. Your EBAY account is linked to a checking account and they will go into that I believe.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:

@handyman said:

Not good info. Your EBAY account is linked to a checking account and they will go into that I believe.

Yes they will.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@Mickey71 said:

@handyman said:

OK but if one has multiple accounts with an institution normally you do not have to maintain a minimum in all.

I have a checking account I use only for Paypal in which I keep around zero and in another checking account I keep enough in to satisfy the Bank's minimum with out being charged a monthly fee. I also make sure that there is no "overdraft" protection on the checking account I use for paypal even if I'm not a seller. If the bank wont do that there are other banks out there...

If I was a seller I make sure eBay could never touch more than a few dollars at any juncture.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:

@handyman said:

OK but if one has multiple accounts with an institution normally you do not have to maintain a minimum in all.

I have a checking account I use only for Paypal in which I keep around zero and in another checking account I keep enough in to satisfy the Bank's minimum with out being charged a monthly fee. I also make sure that there is no "overdraft" protection on the checking account I use for paypal even if I'm not a seller. If the bank wont do that there are other banks out there...

If I was a seller I make sure eBay could never touch more than a few dollars at any juncture.

Yep. If you're worried you can always use a different bank with, perhaps, $25 in your checking account. They probably can't go to a separate account, but it is a heck of a lot harder to seize funds from an account the bank doesn't even know about.

• Options
    KyserKyser Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Years ago, I was unaware of the signature required policy on ebay. When Jeremy Lin was hot. I sold and shipped a nice auto rookie. Item showed delivered but the buyer claimed it was not received. The funny part was they had it listed for sale on their same account on Ebay. Not sure how or why but most scammers are not very bright.

• Options

@Kyser said:
    Years ago, I was unaware of the signature required policy on ebay. When Jeremy Lin was hot. I sold and shipped a nice auto rookie. Item showed delivered but the buyer claimed it was not received. The funny part was they had it listed for sale on their same account on Ebay. Not sure how or why but most scammers are not very bright.

With eBay's policies they do not need to be :(

While I sell or rather used to sell a few item (usually Comic Book)s on eBay per year I'm not a seller. With their new policies on seller payments I'm done. I can get more using CLink anyhow.

On the flip side in the years before the buyer protections of today i was taken few times by sellers/dealers. As much I as dislike the policies towards sellers, eBay woudl be much worse without them. Still a better solution than the buyer always being right seems overdue