Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New 1685 Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel taler (aka ANA museum visit)

OK, so perhaps I am stretching the truth a bit. This 500 piece puzzle of the Brunswick 3 taler was my keepsake from the ANA museum in Colorado Springs last week. I couldn't resist for the $5 price. Overall, the visit was an excellent experience and I thoroughly enjoyed my time. Here are some of my pics of my favorite parts of the museum (seen through eyes of US resident with world coin focus).

The museum is located on the beautiful 90 acre campus of Colorado College in Colorado Springs. I was not expecting the pleasant surroundings and campus atmosphere.

Very little german states material was on display but there was a 2T that caught my eye next to a fake issue.

The impact of the silver mines on coinage of 1500-1600s was isolated to a single case, but a few circulated talers were on display.

The general theme of the basement was the evolution of coins across time and geographies. I thought the cases and explanations were well done from an educational point of view.

Neat frame with Swedish plate money example:

I loved the historical coin weights scale on display; one of several:

Beautiful safe used to store H.O Granberg collection in early 1900s:

Interesting collection of mid 1800s Colorado gold and other issues:

The exhibit on UK coinage through the centuries was excellent. I counted at least 15 cases each with its own focus. The 1588 medal commemorating the death of the Spanish Armada was a personal favorite of mine.

I can't claim to have an iota of expertise on the Maundy coinage, but I did enjoy the background and examples.

The Bass collection is simply stunning. I know this is the world forum, but careful examination of the patterns and early US gold is worth the time. The entire Bass display is well done.

Comments