Home Autographs Forum
Options

1958 MLB Autograph Help

My father in law gave me a ball that he personally had many players sign in spring training 1958. The majority of the signatures on the team are Yankees with St louis Cardinals and Philadelphia Phillies also on the ball. He himself was there and had them done (he was with his father).

I have most of the signatures figures out but there are three I cannot get and I am hoping for help. In the pictures, they are labeled with a line and Question Mark. There are three pictures and each has one on it. The one that says "Poss Eddie Stankey" was told to me that he thinks that may be a sloppy Elston Howard signature.

Please help with these if possible!

Comments

• Options
    jlvette50jlvette50 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

There was an Ed Dick who played in the 50's. I would say that was the signature in the last picture.
    https://www.comc.com/Cards/Baseball/1979/TCMA_Baseball_History_Series_the_1950s_-_Base/81/Ed_Dick/1867841

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first one is definitely Elston Howard.

Steve

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it!

• Options

Update: I got the answers to the first one and the third one: (And you were both on the money)

The top one is Ed Dick, who was invited to Yankee camp but never got called up - (I got the answer from a fantastic phone call with John James, who is one of the signatures on picture #2. It turns out he and Ed Dick were roommates in the minors and great friends during their baseball years)

and the third one was a somewhat sloppy Elston Howard signature. An avid collector I am friends with thought this and then we watched the home movies last night of the signings and saw Elston Howard signing the ball.

That leaves only the second picture with a signature I cannot figure out. ANy help would be much appreciated!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mystery signature looks like "Jim" something.

At first I thought the last name started with K but now I think part if that is the top of the name below it.

Maybe starts with C, G, or? Could be Collins. Looks to be two Ls in the middle. There was a famous James Collins but he was from an earlier era.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, I found a minor leaguer named Jim Collins who fits your era.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=collin004jam

• Options
    Mo_MentumMo_Mentum Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

John Callison

• Options
    Mo_MentumMo_Mentum Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

The pen skipped (no ink imparted) at the bottom arc of the J, again at the top of the h, the second n into and including the first half of the y. He did write "Johnny Callison", but with the parts of the track that the ink didn't take to, it does sorta' look like "Jim" rather than "Johnny".