Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

“Forum Giveaway” HAS ENDED, CaliforniaKing Was The Winner! Thanks For Everyone's Participation!!!!!

13»

Comments

• MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    1981 Wow! You’ve dug a few holes so what’s your silver count?

LoL! yep! a lot of holes.
    From the 80's through the mid 90's I'll say silver was somewhat common to find as compared to after that period.
    In our area of the country in those early years there were lots of people in on detecting, there were LOTS of detecting clubs that scouted out all the public accessible high traffic areas, Parks, Schools, Court houses, City Curbs, etc.. (we hunted a lot of the curbs).
    By the early 90's the real High Tech metal detectors had flooded the market, so by the mid 90's silver got MUCH harder to find. Somewhere around 1988 on a nice Spring day you could drive by the local city park (or court house) and from a distance there was enough people scouring the lawns with detectors that it look a little like Bee's in a clover field :D So, like the California Gold Rush that came and went, so did the detecting craze.
    Total silver?? thinking back now I do wish I had a running total, or have kept all of it. I can tell you about the Big Silver, those heart stopping Half Dollars, I still have those, to rare to find, too super cool to let go of!
    Two Walking Liberty's and one Benjamin Franklin!
    I also kept the Barber Quarters I found which is two.
    What I did with most of what I'll call the common silver was when I got really interested in working to build my Lincoln Cent collection I (over time) took the common silver and traded it for needed Lincoln cents somewhere along 86 through the early 90's. And after the silver dried up I also became less of an avid hunter sometimes taking several years gap from detecting, my oldest brother, stayed at it, the middle brother dropped out for a couple of decades until he finely retired and then him and the oldest now go detecting pretty often, both retired several years before I did.
    I found most of my silver Night Hunting City curbs (grassy strips between the sidewalks and the streets). If I were to guess at a total of silver coins I'd say maybe 100 to maybe 125.

"I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
    Thomas Jefferson!

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkW63 Cool stories. Nowadays you would need to find some virgin ground which isn’t impossible if you use google earth. You can back date up to 1941 where I’m at and place pins on points of interest then overlay with the latest satellite pics.

I have a ton of places mapped out deep in Houston but the problem is you might get mugged in those areas.
    Years ago one of my uncles shot a gang banger that tried to rob him while he was detecting.

• 403 Great guessing by all lol. Trying to work out the weight of the jar is the real challenge...

@luedsthegreat said:
    403 Great guessing by all lol. Trying to work out the weight of the jar is the real challenge...

Can't help with the weight of the jar, but traffic is slowing down in the thread, some has already mentioned the likely size of the jar anyway, but look at the pictures with the jar (fake mug) in my hand, notice how many fingers that there's room for in the handle (if you didn't notice that).

Thomas Jefferson!

• bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    1. Thank you

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

Tonight at Midnight (Eastern Time) this giveaway officially ends and if no correct answer has been submitted by then the set of Half Dollars will be awarded to the person with the nearest to the correct answer!

Thomas Jefferson!

• CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@CalifornianKing said:

Your guess of 371 has already entered earlier by another member, its about midway of page one! Meaning your guess is voided and you can cast another guess.

Thomas Jefferson!

@MarkW63 said:

@CalifornianKing said:

Your guess of 371 has already entered earlier by another member, its about midway of page one! Meaning your guess is voided and you can cast another guess.

edited August 6, 2021 1:15PM

_RED ALERT WE HAVE A WINNER AT 372 _ See following post for details!

Thomas Jefferson!

When I decided to do this giveway I counted the pennies and wrote that number down and took a picture of it with my atomic clock in the background (it automatically sets itself).
    Member "CaliforniaKing" is the winner with his guess of 372 :)
    So CaliforniaKing if you'll PM me an address to send the Halves to I'll packed them up and get them sent out!

Thomas Jefferson!

Now, what kind of math was used to figure this out? (Inquiring minds want to know)
    Overall this giveaway has been really fun, the past couple of days it got a little slow, but I'm glad I didn't end it early and decided to let it ride!
    Thanks To Everyone That Followed This Thread, and Thanks To Everyone Who Contributed To It!, that's what made it work!

Thomas Jefferson!

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2021 1:43PM

Congrats to the Californian Kid.
    I just figured it could hold 7 rolls minus half or so of one being mixed up.

For fun, here is what the jar weighs by itself!
    Empty weighs exactly 13oz (my scales)

Thomas Jefferson!

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats @CalifornianKing

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats @CalifornianKing !!!

@MarkW63 said:
    When I decided to do this giveway I counted the pennies and wrote that number down and took a picture of it with my atomic clock in the background (it automatically sets itself).
    Member "CaliforniaKing" is the winner with his guess of 372 :)
    So CaliforniaKing if you'll PM me an address to send the Halves to I'll packed them up and get them sent out!

Thanks! I’ll pm you

@MarkW63 said:
    Now, what kind of math was used to figure this out? (Inquiring minds want to know)
    Overall this giveaway has been really fun, the past couple of days it got a little slow, but I'm glad I didn't end it early and decided to let it ride!
    Thanks To Everyone That Followed This Thread, and Thanks To Everyone Who Contributed To It!, that's what made it work!

Well a wheat penny weighs 3.11 grams so I rounded down slightly and divided the weights

@Onastone said:
    Congrats @CalifornianKing !!!

@gumby1234 said:
    Congrats @CalifornianKing

Thanks!

Large thanks to @MarkW63 package arrived today!

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats CK!

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers

@rooksmith said:

This giveaway ended with CaliforniaKing's guess of 372!

Thomas Jefferson!

• Larrob37Larrob37 Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

408 pennies

@Larrob37 said:
    408 pennies

This Giveaway already has a winner, plus the dateline has passed!
    Wish you could have found it earlier!!!!

Thomas Jefferson!

• Larrob37Larrob37 Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

guess i need to pay better attention to dates. LOL

• 468 good luck everyone!

Member of the ANA. Supporter of the Glendale Coin Club. Successful transactions with Illini420,Mustanggt,jwitten,herb_t

@GreenGo said:
    468 good luck everyone!

These giveaway already has an official winner submitted by "CaliforniaKing" ending this giveaway!
    Sorry you missed out :(

Thomas Jefferson!

• JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown