Home U.S. Coin Forum

Redbook or CPG or Greysheet or ... ?

moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Returning to collecting after many years, i bought the 2022 Redbook.

1. Are those price guides similar to those in the CPG?
  2. How in general do the CPG (retail) values compare to the Greysheet (wholesale) values?
  3. How much do CPG or Greysheet values tend to change month-to-month?

I'm not gung-ho enough to subscribe to Greysheet; should I beg a fairly recent copy from somebody?

The particular purpose for the questions:
If I start setting up coin swaps on CU, and we way 'minimum value $100', what is the easy/fair/best guide to use for valuation?
It should be something everyone has access to, and can generally agree is a good relative approximation of values.

Thanks!
am

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not use Redbook for pricing. CPG or greysheet is more complicated and depends on type.

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2021 10:55AM

The Redbook is useless for pricing--use it for mintage figures and major varieties (but not all of them). I don't bother to get one every year. Many smaller dealers do base their pricing on Greysheet values. Again, pricing can be tricky--sometimes too high, other times too low. And...price guides typically do not take quality for the grade into account. Use the internet instead.

Llike grades on slab inserts, price guides make concluding coin transactions easier. That's it; there is nothing written in stone. A price can be a function of many variables, starting with how badly the seller needs money at the time of the discussion, how many bidders show up to make aggressive bids at an auction, how nice the coin is for the grade (especially if they typically have little eye appeal), etc.

Don't let 'rarity' color your view of the value of a coin--most U. S. coins are not rare. Conversely, there are some genuinely rare items that collectors aren't interested in: 'R-8 coin but R-9 collector base' is a common expression.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

There isn't. Remember, they are all AVERAGES. Auction prices are better if you can find like and kind. But the real question is why would you buy anything when you have the internet? eBay, Heritage, PCGS Coin Facts, NGC, all have pricing. People may think one is statistically more accurate than another, but I have never seen that math. But I am sure I will get schooled here again by some newbie who thinks those numbers are gospel.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • RedSealsRedSeals Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) PCGS Coinfacts
    2) CAC CPG Pricing (on the CAC website)
    3) Auction records - greatcollections, heritage, stacks, ebay, etc

Successful BST Transactions with: PerryHall, MrSlider, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Blu62vette, robkool, gowithmygut, coinlieutenant, Downtown1974, MilesWaits, Shrub68, justindan

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know a lot of people like Numismedia’s valuations. Many of the prices seem to be quite fair I think.

http://www.numismedia.com/rarecoinprices/fmv.shtml

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    I know a lot of people like Numismedia’s valuations. Many of the prices seem to be quite fair I think.

http://www.numismedia.com/rarecoinprices/fmv.shtml

Ah, i hadn't seen that site before. Looks useful, because it seems to have all grades G4 through MS70.
    Tell you what, if we do a coin swap with X minimum dollar value, we shall use numismedia as a guideline.

Besides coin swaps, the other reason i want a 'generally agreed to be fair' guide is for cataloging my coins.

Thanks!
    am

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recent Auction results comparing comparable sales.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file