Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What will happen to the world coin market when Queen Elizabeth II dies?

Been thinking about this a lot lately. She's 95 year old but still looks pretty healthy for her age. She's been on the face of millions of coins since 1953. Any speculators out there want to take a guess?

Comments

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

There are so many coins with Elizabeth II on them (as you pointed out) that I doubt it will have much effect on those. I have serious doubts about the popularity of coinage with Charles on them except for perhaps the first year of issue. However, if Charles abdicates and William becomes King, I think there will be a lot of demand for his coinage. I'm not sure why I feel that way, but I do. JMHO.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find the majority of coinage that has her pretty boring. I have a large world coin collection and I have about 5 with her on it. I doubt there will be any value to them as time goes on.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AuldFartte said:
    I have serious doubts about the popularity of coinage with Charles on them except for perhaps the first year of issue. However, if Charles abdicates and William becomes King, I think there will be a lot of demand for his coinage. I'm not sure why I feel that way, but I do. JMHO.

I infer you have an unfavorable opinion of him (Charles), which I equally infer MANY others share with you. I have also thought that abdicating would be the better option for him.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Gillick portrait is one of my favorites on 20th century coinage. I wish it had been used on the more recent NCLT, such as the three graces and retro Una coins.

The successor portrait isn't bad either. I don't particularly care for the portraits after though.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long live the Queen!

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

No impact on coinage. However, I suspect that art medals may see a spike.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

She will not die anytime soon : she's probably waiting for Charles to pass away first :cold_sweat:

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cucumbor said:
    She will not die anytime soon : she's probably waiting for Charles to pass away first :cold_sweat:

I was gonna joke about that but didn't want to be mean.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many people have appeared on money for an incredible 86 years of their lifetime?

She first appeared on the Bank of Canada $20 in 1935 as Princess Elizabeth, a mere and unlikely third in line to the throne. Who knew that a couple of years later her uncle David aka King Edward VIII would abdicate unexpectedly and she would be thrust into preparing to assume the throne someday.

No other monarch in world history will ever appear on more coins etc than she has, from far more countries and in sheer quantity.

The end of her hopefully much longer reign may well see a paring off of countries such as Australia from the Commonwealth and may indeed foster aspirations of Republicanism there and in many other realms.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Her mother lived to be 101.

I doubt her eventual passing will have anything but a very brief effect on the coin market.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

She will outlive all of us, so I am not worried.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are the ones to watch out for: anachronisms, or forward-dated coins.

Many mints strike coins well in advance of their issue date. I know here in Australia this is the case; if previous years are anything to go by, NCLT coins dated "2022" have already begun to be struck by both the Perth Mint and the Royal Australian Mint. Some of these will be being offered for sale soon; they will certainly begin to be sold to allow them to be shipped overseas in time for Christmas. I presume the Royal Canadian Mint and the British Royal Mint do this too.

Now, if the Queen were to die in late 2021, where does that leave all those coins that have already been struck with her picture and the 2022 date? They can withdraw what they can, but some will already have been sold. Awkward - and potentially scarce, if the Mint orders a recall.

If you're looking for "future sleepers", those anachronism coins would be likely candidates.

If there are people in these mints who are aware of the potential problem this poses, I'm sure they're all wishing that whenever the Queen passes away, it will be some time early, but not too early, in the year - late January to April would be good.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

It will lead to a lot of new types. Hopefully not for a while.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not think that anything special will happen. I love my 1984 coins with her second portrait, made by Arnold Machin, there are hundreds of different coins made in my special year with her portrait and even with other portraits too, like the first portrait made by Mary Gillick (on the Maundy set) .

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

every mint will issue ONE last coin with here on it.....that will be billions of coins...

Today is the first day of the rest of my life