Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Vertical Centering Question

I have always had trouble understanding how vertical centering should be measured in the absence of well-defined borders. I can’t see how this card could possibly be 60/40 or even 65/35. Does the grader just make an eye appeal judgment?

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's centered a bit low T/B imo for this issue.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15

What do you think about this one? Too low for an 8? I remember in the past someone suggested 71 T/B is not measured in the conventional way, but I’m not sure if that was factual or speculation.

• Options

Also a bit low but I like that card as an 8.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jenkins is low. Looks like 8 centering if I use my Dwight Evans 73's to compare. 71, he!! if I know. Those are all over the map :D

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

tad ltr too. but it does present well. rounded inner borders either compliment or make centering look drastically worse depending on which way the card is oc. to me at least.

in this case they help. 69s for instance, if the card is a lil oc to the upper left, the rounded border in the top right corner looks like its way off to its overall centering margins bc of the extra white. if that makes any sense.

• Options
    Mo_MentumMo_Mentum Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

I don't think so. The top border of the '73 Jenk is almost the exact size of the side margins. And there's still enough space between the lettering and the edge of the card to get an overall very aesthetic well centered impression.

• Options
    edited July 30, 2021 6:28PM

@Mo_Mentum said:

@grote15 said:

I don't think so. The top border of the '73 Jenk is almost the exact size of the side margins. And there's still enough space between the lettering and the edge of the card to get an overall very aesthetic well centered impression.

No, it's definitely centered a bit low for this set. I've submitted a lot of 1973 Topps cards over the years and I'd be thrilled if I got a 9 on this one. The below, recently graded example is more illustrative of T/B centering for a PSA 9 73 Jenkins (though it's not centered quite as well L/R).

• Options

I will say that original card in the set is not centered well enough for a 9. it almost looks like the grader went with the bottom of his name as the border on the bottom. I submitted quite a few 73's and never had one like that get a 9. the recent example looks good but like Tim said, side to side is borderline

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2021 6:51PM

When there is not a defined border top to bottom…I always measure it with respect to the total of the two defined left to right borders. For example…a 50/50 card would have left side 1/10 inch left, 1/10 inch right and 1/10 inch top if bottom border is not defined.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    reelinintheyearsreelinintheyears Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

This one (currently listed on ebay) has very similar centering but the grade is more consistent with the '73 issue in my experience. Would likely be a 7 if graded today.

• Options

@reelinintheyears said:
    This one (currently listed on ebay) has very similar centering but the grade is more consistent with the '73 issue in my experience. Would likely be a 7 if graded today.

Agreed