Home Sports Talk
Options

What, no talk about the Lakers getting Russ?

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

very interesting draft-night trade

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

how about him having a triple double in his name?

ruSSeLL westbrOOk. 🤯

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like the final push to get Lebron a ring. I would imagine from here on out it will be very difficult for Lebron to stay healthy at his age for an entire season.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    looks like the final push to get Lebron a ring. I would imagine from here on out it will be very difficult for Lebron to stay healthy at his age for an entire season.

i hate defending him but he’s only 36, right? kareem went to 41 w/o the benefit of todays medical advancements or pampering.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@craig44 said:

i hate defending him but he’s only 36, right? kareem went to 41 w/o the benefit of todays medical advancements or pampering.

Lebron has had a relatively injury free career thus far, and remains in great form despite the severe wear and tear on him from so many games played and so many deep runs.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2021 7:21AM

Out of all of the possible moves that LA could have made this offseason, this one seems like it was made out of desperation. Lebron needs 3&D guys around him,not another star who can’t shoot that needs the ball in his hands to actually make an impact.
    Honestly, the only way I see this move working is if Lebron let’s Russ be the primary ball handler while he starts to take a secondary role. That being said,Westbrook plays hard and when Lebron isn’t on the floor LA will have two stars to run their offense through.

I think the Lakers could have been better off had they added two out of Kyle Lowry,DeMar DeRozan and Buddy Hield instead of using their best trade chips on Westbrook.

Edit: Also you have to look at what this trade means for their 2021 salary cap as well. They may not even be able to afford vet minimum ring chasers.
    Projected 2021-2022 salary cap: $112 million
    Lebron,Westbrook and AD’s contracts combined: $120+ million

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

I think the Lakers could have been better off had they added two out of Kyle Lowry,DeMar DeRozan and Buddy Hield instead of using their best trade chips on Westbrook.

if they had pulled off LBJ-AD-DeRozan-Lowry, i think everyone else would have been playing for 2nd

but as it stands, i don't foresee LeBron adding another ring to this finger with the addition of Westbrook. i just have a hard time envisioning a harmonious relationship on the court based on their styles of play.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

if they had pulled off LBJ-AD-DeRozan-Lowry, i think everyone else would have been playing for 2nd

but as it stands, i don't foresee LeBron adding another ring to this finger with the addition of Westbrook. i just have a hard time envisioning a harmonious relationshhip on the court based on their styles of play.

Agreed. Once this trade is finalized the only other players under contract outside of the three above are the ghost of Marc Gasol and some JAG named McKinnie. They still have their own FAs like Caruso,Matthews,Drummond,THT,McLemore and Schroder that can re-sign but that roster wasn’t all that great this season.
    This all should make for some good drama though and providing the main players are all healthy we’re going to hear about a potential Nets/Lakers Finals showdown all season.

• Options

Los Angeles rent-a-player strategy. not exclusive to the lakers, either. look what the dodgers have done and did today. scherzer, turner.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

AD is a big man that has big man injuries late in the season. If he’s unavailable at anytime for any length in the playoffs their chances of another ring are greatly reduced.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2021 11:46AM

@2dueces said:
    AD is a big man that has big man injuries late in the season. If he’s unavailable at anytime for any length in the playoffs their chances of another ring are greatly reduced.

i agree. i will say i thought a lot of the players were being soft about such a short off-season after covid bubble. it became pretty transparent especially leading up to the playoffs that injuries started to atoll rather quickly. on every team in the league. the players started dropping like flys.

it will be interesting to see how fragile davis will be this upcoming season w zero excuses, regardless how valid it most likely was last season.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

If Lebron could win a championship with Kyrie, he can win one with Russ. I am not a huge fan of the trade because I have never liked how Russ plays but it will undoubtedly make the team stronger when Lebron sits. That said, 2 aging stars and a fragile big man doesn't feel like a recipe for success.

Robb

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@craig44 said:

he will be 37 a couple of months into the season. it isn't just his age though. he has logged heavy minutes since age 18. kareem was playing the much shorter college seasons until he was what, 22?

yes, there are certainly much more advanced medical advancements, but 2 decades of deep playoff runs takes its toll. this season there was the ankle injury. he also had a significant groin injury a year or two ago.

i think lebrons window is closing quickly.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@blurryface said:

@craig44 said:

he will be 37 a couple of months into the season. it isn't just his age though. he has logged heavy minutes since age 18. kareem was playing the much shorter college seasons until he was what, 22?

yes, there are certainly much more advanced medical advancements, but 2 decades of deep playoff runs takes its toll. this season there was the ankle injury. he also had a significant groin injury a year or two ago.

i hope so. i just dont think his ego will allow him to retire until he gets the scoring title. i can see him being 42 avg 8 points a game til he gets there, bad groin or not.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@craig44 said:

@blurryface said:

@craig44 said:

i hope so. i just dont think his ego will allow him to retire until he gets the scoring title. i can see him being 42 avg 8 points a game til he gets there, bad groin or not.

I don't know exactly how the numbers work out, but I can definitely see him playing until he has it.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

I don't know exactly how the numbers work out, but I can definitely see him playing until he has it.

Agree. I see Lebron playing for 3 more years..... age 37, 38, 39. Kareem played until 41. Kareem averaged 22, 23 and 17 points per game between age 37-39. Lebron could sit out 30 games per season and average 19 points per game and get the scoring title. And then blurry....... those e-topps will explode. just my humble opinion.

• Options
    edited July 31, 2021 10:18AM

@sayheywyo said:
    @thisistheshow said:

Agree. I see Lebron playing for 3 more years..... age 37, 38, 39. Kareem played until 41. Kareem averaged 22, 23 and 17 points per game between age 37-39. Lebron could sit out 30 games per season and average 19 points per game and get the scoring title. And then blurry....... those e-topps will explode. just my humble opinion.

thats the plan! cant stand the guy, but he can send my kids to college for free.

and ive nailed down tons of etopps. when they hit $9k+ mark, i moved 3 to pay for the rest of the hold. they've come back to earth with most everything else but i'm good there. ive actually moved on to two other cards that i think have massive upside.

2003 topps matrix #jaw james, anthony, wade

2003 topps matrix #wjb wade, james, bosh

only reason im saying this is because i have already procured 30 or so 8s and up on the cheap.

with the lineage of the topps brand in conjunction w/ the bird/magic/dr j that features two hof rcs and another hof, these cards (which even resemble the bird/magic rc) will be the first ever to feature 3 hof rookies on 1 card. the bosh card will have the distinction of being all 3 hof rookies from the same class on the same team to win a championship. while the carmelo card will carry the distinction of being the first w 3 1st round hofs pictured.

i went heavy on the jaw card first bc i knew anthony was a lock & bosh had got passed over by the hall already. but now that he is officially in, i started scooping those up during the last few months. the current dip has just the cherry on top.

not too many things im confident on when it comes to putting my name on a call, but these are a no brainer, imo. and no, i dont have a single one listed or will list until a few months leading up to brons induction. then the masses can have them! and ill have my island. space jam 2 will be forbidden.

• Options

and he still will never be jordan! 😉

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

2003 topps matrix #jaw james, anthony, wade

2003 topps matrix #wjb wade, james, bosh

Not a Lebron fan either, but the newer generation that's spending $$ like him a lot. I'm just a casual collector and no where near your buying power. In addition to the ones you mentioned I did pick up a couple of the #baj bosh, anthony, james on the way cheap a couple years back and graded one just to see how it fared (PSA 9)--- tough cards. Similar plans when Bron is inducted----- although mine will probably be a week in a Smoky mountain cabin w/family vs the Island thing and we'll be watching the original Space Jam.

• Options

@sayheywyo said:
    @blurryface said:

Similar plans when Bron is inducted----- although mine will probably be a week in a Smoky mountain cabin w/family vs the Island thing and we'll be watching the original Space Jam.

as long as the family’s there, that all that matters. a cabin in the smokeys aint all that bad either and w enough digging could technically be an island as well! who knows, you might even strike a gold or ruby pocket. all thanks to lebron. plus so much easier to sell when theres no emotion involved.

• Options

Kudos to Lebron and the Lakers for creating a retirement home for older NBA players...
    Lebron 36
    Marc Gasol 36
    Russell Westbrook 32
    Trevor Ariza 36
    Kent Bazemore 32
    Dwight Howard 35
    Wayne Ellington 33

The two youngest players that LA currently has under contract are:
    Anthony Davis 28
    Alfonzo Mckinnie 29

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Kudos to Lebron and the Lakers for creating a retirement home for older NBA players...
    Lebron 36
    Marc Gasol 36
    Russell Westbrook 32
    Trevor Ariza 36
    Kent Bazemore 32
    Dwight Howard 35
    Wayne Ellington 33

Anthony Davis 28
    Alfonzo Mckinnie 29

i would thought anthony davis was 68 judging by that impressive uni-brow.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Lebron 36
    Marc Gasol 36
    Russell Westbrook 32
    Trevor Ariza 36
    Kent Bazemore 32
    Dwight Howard 35
    Wayne Ellington 33

Anthony Davis 28
    Alfonzo Mckinnie 29

and dont the lakers have 1 guy on the team that had a bonilla type contract thats 43 or something like that?

• Options

@blurryface said:

@erikthredd said:
    Lebron 36
    Marc Gasol 36
    Russell Westbrook 32
    Trevor Ariza 36
    Kent Bazemore 32
    Dwight Howard 35
    Wayne Ellington 33

Anthony Davis 28
    Alfonzo Mckinnie 29

That uni-brow has been going strong since HS. ;)

I think the answer to question two is Luol Deng but I could be wrong.

• Options
    edited August 3, 2021 12:32PM

LA did go out and sign a 23yr old,Malik Monk, but then went and balanced it out by signing 37yr old Carmelo Anthony. :D

If LA keeps going at this rate the NBA might have to create the Social Security Tax Exemption. >:)

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@blurryface said:

@erikthredd said:
    Lebron 36
    Marc Gasol 36
    Russell Westbrook 32
    Trevor Ariza 36
    Kent Bazemore 32
    Dwight Howard 35
    Wayne Ellington 33

Anthony Davis 28
    Alfonzo Mckinnie 29

That uni-brow has been going strong since HS. ;)

I think the answer to question two is Luol Deng but I could be wrong.

https://www.sportscasting.com/luol-deng-made-more-money-for-lakers-2020-21-than-all-but-5-players-including-kyle-kuzma/

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    LA did go out and sign a 23yr old,Malik Monk, but then went and balanced it out by signing 37yr old Carmelo Anthony. :D

those matrix cards i spoke of early are looking better & better now. especially if melo gets a ring. lakers are basically the equivalent to the yankees as far as the crazy collector base.