Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1989 Star Promo Rookie Ken Griffey Jr PSA10!

Screenshot, because I'm too lazy to drag it out. LOL! Really cool, rare and unique card here! Love these cards! Many people do not know these even exist! I have 3 copies with only seventeen of these in PSA10 so far! Just wanted to share this cool and unique card. Many other base cards are in this set, as well. I've almost completed the set in PSA9.

Comments

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2021 11:21AM

Here is my complete Star set, 1 of 4 on the registry..
    https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/company-sets/1989-star-ken-griffey-jr-master/album/279118

Do you mainly collect Griffey? If so, it would be great to see what else you have. Not enough Griffey collectors here.

Not a huge fan of Star cards, but I too have the one you posted. This is after it got its new tux. There are actually many more of these out there (60 ish), they are just labeled improperly (mechanical error).

• Options

@NGS428 said:
    Here is my complete Star set, 1 of 4 on the registry..
    https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/company-sets/1989-star-ken-griffey-jr-master/album/279118

Do you mainly collect Griffey? If so, it would be great to see what else you have. Not enough Griffey collectors here.

Not a huge fan of Star cards, but I too have the one you posted. This is after it got its new tux. There are actually many more of these out there (60 ish), they are just labeled improperly (mechanical error).

Hi, thanks for the response. I mostly am just focusing on his Star cards at the moment. They also have a 1988 Star set of him and a silver series. They're not the most appealing cards, but they're unique and rare. I suspect the promo has at least several hundred copies floating around, while the main base cards have several thousand. Still rarer and way much cheaper than Tiffany cards, which is why I like them. I dont have to spend a fortune to collect Griffey, but a Nova promo in a PSA8 just sold for 237.00 on Ebay. They're supposedly even rarer. I have other players, like Cal Ripken Jr, Frank Thomas, and Johnny Bench. I think Big Hurt is extremely undervalued. I'm also big into the OPC cards, which I've bought two of Thomas ina PSA8 and PSA9

• Options

I did use to have Griffeys Bowman 9.5 rookie and a couple oddball magazine cards graded by PSA and SGC. I sold off to focus on Griffey Star cards for now. The mainstream pop count from most of his junk wax era cards scare me, especially his iconic 1989 Upper Deck

• Options

Cool collection, by the way. I'm getting there myself. I would love to own his Tiffany cards, but they're way out of reach and his junk wax stuff is scary in those pop counts for me to go for.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, there is the 88-89 Star Nova (10 cards), 88-89 Star Silver (10 cards), 1989 Star yellow and white backs (11 cards each), plus a bunch of other promo and glossy cards. Best of luck!

Here are some print runs of his early cards:
    Print Run:
    1988 Best San Bernardino Spirit: 5,000
    1988 Best San Bernardino Spirit Platinum: 1,300
    1988 Star Silver: 2,000
    1988 Star Silver Black Border Promo: 400
    1988 Star Promos Blank Black Glossy: 40
    1988-1989 Star Nova Edition: 500
    1988-1989 Star Nova Edition Promo: 100
    1989 Bowman Tiffany: 6,000
    1989 Fleer Glossy: 30,000
    1989 Topps Tiffany: 15,000

The Star white and yellow backs may have been printed to 5k, but I am not sure. I agree with you, the designs are boring.. I know they are supposedly limited, but may see them as an oddball issue. 10’s do command some $ though.

• Options

@NGS428 said:
    Yes, there is the 88-89 Star Nova (10 cards), 88-89 Star Silver (10 cards), 1989 Star yellow and white backs (11 cards each), plus a bunch of other promo and glossy cards. Best of luck!

Here are some print runs of his early cards:
    Print Run:
    1988 Best San Bernardino Spirit: 5,000
    1988 Best San Bernardino Spirit Platinum: 1,300
    1988 Star Silver: 2,000
    1988 Star Silver Black Border Promo: 400
    1988 Star Promos Blank Black Glossy: 40
    1988-1989 Star Nova Edition: 500
    1988-1989 Star Nova Edition Promo: 100
    1989 Bowman Tiffany: 6,000
    1989 Fleer Glossy: 30,000
    1989 Topps Tiffany: 15,000

The Star white and yellow backs may have been printed to 5k, but I am not sure. I agree with you, the designs are boring.. I know they are supposedly limited, but may see them as an oddball issue. 10’s do command some $ though.

Gem copies will always demand high money. If not now, then they soon will. I know Star has always been popular with basketball, but not baseball. This could be due to the fact that Topps didnt stop printing at any point for baseball like they did with basketball. Star might be considered an oddball issue, but they were a licensed product. With it doing so well in basketball, theres no reason to believe it wont eventually pickup in baseball, especially when all the Fleer Glossy and Tiffany cards get way too far out of reach for majority of collectors.

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2021 7:37PM

This is the only Star Griffey I own. I've had it for years, and only recently sent it to PSA. Highest graded signed one by far, not to mention the 10 auto grade. I love that it's an early career sig, too.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options

@scmavl said:
    This is the only Star Griffey I own. I've had it for years, and only recently sent it to PSA. Highest graded signed one by far, not to mention the 10 auto grade. I love that it's an early career sig, too.

Sweet Griffey rookie auto. I have a few of those yellow backs, and almost the complete set of white backs. Unfortunately, none are autographed, though. I feel that these are very undervalued and are going to eventually rise in value when people realize how rare they are. I just dont see Star cards only remaining valuable in basketball. I also dont see Griffeys other rookies, especially any junk wax cards, rising in value without these rising. All rising tides lifts all boats, as they say. Most definitely diamonds in the rough, in my opinion. These very likely will become cards that many people wish they had grabbed when they eventually reach hundreds to thousands. I just dont find it feasible for these to continue to stay affordable forever. Afterall, its Griffey we are talking about here...and these are all short printed like his Tiffany and Fleer Glossy cards.