Home Sports Talk
Options

Patrick Mahomes rookie card sells for $4.3 million

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 2017 National Treasures rookie auto 1/1 Patrick Mahomes was sold for $4.3 million recently, making it the most expensive football card ever sold. The previous record was $3.1 million for a 2000 Tom Brady rookie card.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insane

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Insane

Yes it is, Tom and Patrick are battling it out for football card supremacy and it's fascinating to watch!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:
    Insane

Yes it is, Tom and Patrick are battling it out for football card supremacy and it's fascinating to watch!

I wonder if and when Tom retires his cards will eventually take a back seat to Mahomes? Also keep an eye out on Herbert, if he brings home a championship his cards could skyrocket as well. I mention Herbert because I think he is the real deal as well

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:
    Insane

I wonder if and when Tom retires his cards will eventually take a back seat to Mahomes? Also keep an eye out on Herbert, if he brings home a championship his cards could skyrocket as well. I mention Herbert because I think he is the real deal as well

Totally agree with you on Justin. I have stocked up on a couple dozen of Justin's rookie cards in the past year buying low of course. When psa opens back up I will be sending those in. You never know.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

That's just plain CRAZY! I realize I waste some money on stuff but that's NUTS!

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    an andy dalton RC recently sold for 4.3 dollars

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:
    Insane

That could happen since Mahomes will still be playing after Tom retires, I think Herbert is the real deal also, and I might just have to poke around the Herbert card section on ebay before his cards take off for the moon!

• Options

I just wouldn’t know the best card to buy, I’m so out of touch with modern cards

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I just wouldn’t know the best card to buy, I’m so out of touch with modern cards

As someone who got here from the coin side rather than cards, I am even more out of touch. But this is something I have thought about before. I am sure it has been discussed (ad nauseam elsewhere), but I would be interested in knowing.

• Options

@perkdog said:

I know what you mean, the hobby is crazy these days with all the serial numbered cards, and parallel cards, and 1/1 cards it is very confusing. I like the vintage stuff better.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

don't believe the hype. funny how the jordan went from 250k to 800k+ right before the national too. gary vee came back outta nowhere to start pumping them saying he was gonna be walking the national and start buying them back up. even funnier is i know for a fact he's spent the last three months buying up jordan 8-9s from his various ebay accounts that ship to ny, ct & nj.

any social media vids about to hit the air will be prearranged staged sales to create even more hype. and the sheep will fall for it all over again.

• Options

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2021 12:55PM

I have been in "selling mode" for some time and have done quite well compared to original purchase cost. I was most fortunate to catch the tail end of the latest grading cycle with PSA and many, many cards I sent in raw came back as PSA 10s, a good number of PSA 9s, and yes, a few dog grades. Having bought most of them for $1-$3, the return has been incredibly good for me, many for well over a Benjamin, some were 1 of 1s, most were low POP.

I think the card biz is off the charts crazy. The 1955 Topps set as an example, used to be reachable (as in completion of all 206 cards), perhaps in the mid teens level for a well bought PSA 7 set. This of course was in the mid 2000s. At that time, a Clemente PSA 7 could be had all day long for a tad over $2.1k, now this card is in the very high $8-$10k+ range! I once bought a Clemente PSA 8 for $4.1k and was thrilled to sell it for $4.5k. NOW that card sells for over $40 THOUSAND +++ When you factor in the sales tax vig to buyers, which is mostly in the 6-7% range, and try not to stroke out as a seller, when eBay puts the uber snapper on you at %12.35% of final sale, which INCLUDES the sales tax as a final fee number, this whole biz has gone nutty. Who can afford such pieces of cardboard that had an original cost of a mind-numbing ONE PENNY??

So, I'm not too knowledgeable about Modern, other than one player. But the game has left me at the altar. I'm selling all my stuff. If I fell over tomorrow, my wife wouldn't have a clue what to do with them. I'd be spinning up a storm in my grave if she just donated them to Goodwill. The modern version of "My mom tossed out all my cards I had in a shoebox".

For, memory sake, here's a pic of my 1955 Topps set from days gone by. This set was just 16 cards short of
    a straight PSA 8 collection. You will notice all 210 slots are filled, I managed to get a set of the 4 missing cards, had them graded and added them in. They were reproductions, but added some serious pop to the overall set. Feller, Ford, Musial and Score. How I wish I still had that set. I was in it for about $50k, and sold for a little over $60k. Today, it would easily sell in the $100k+++ range. I'm over it though, I used the proceeds to buy a very nice house.

For anyone aspiring to complete the 1955 Topps set, behold the stunning view when all presented at once!!!

Before you ask...the yellow piece in the upper left corner, was the largest piece of the hood of my beloved 1973 corvette. A truck hit me and I almost met the angels that morning in a heavy rain storm. HORRIBLE DAY!!

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    I have been in "selling mode" for some time and have done quite well compared to original purchase cost. I was most fortunate to catch the tail end of the latest grading cycle with PSA and many, many cards I sent in raw came back as PSA 10s, a good number of PSA 9s, and yes, a few dog grades. Having bought most of them for $1-$3, the return has been incredibly good for me, many for well over a Benjamin, some were 1 of 1s, most were low POP.

I think the card biz is off the charts crazy. The 1955 Topps set as an example, used to be reachable (as in completion of all 206 cards), perhaps in the mid teens level for a well bought PSA 7 set. This of course was in the mid 2000s. At that time, a Clemente PSA 7 could be had all day long for a tad over $2.1k, now this card is in the very high $8-$10k+ range! I once bought a Clemente PSA 8 for $4.1k and was thrilled to sell it for $4.5k. NOW that card sells for over $40 THOUSAND +++ When you factor in the sales tax vig to buyers, which is mostly in the 6-7% range, and try not to stroke out as a seller, when eBay puts the uber snapper on you at %12.35% of final sale, which INCLUDES the sales tax as a final fee number, this whole biz has gone nutty. Who can afford such pieces of cardboard that had an original cost of a mind-numbing ONE PENNY??

So, I'm not too knowledgeable about Modern, other than one player. But the game has left me at the altar. I'm selling all my stuff. If I fell over tomorrow, my wife wouldn't have a clue what to do with them. I'd be spinning up a storm in my grave if she just donated them to Goodwill. The modern version of "My mom tossed out all my cards I had in a shoebox".

For, memory sake, here's a pic of my 1955 Topps set from days gone by. This set was just 16 cards short of
    a straight PSA 8 collection. You will notice all 210 slots are filled, I managed to get a set of the 4 missing cards, had them graded and added them in. They were reproductions, but added some serious pop to the overall set. Feller, Ford, Musial and Score. How I wish I still had that set. I was in it for about $50k, and sold for a little over $60k. Today, it would easily sell in the $100k+++ range. I'm over it though, I used the proceeds to buy a very nice house.

For anyone aspiring to complete the 1955 Topps set, behold the stunning view when all presented at once!!!

Before you ask...the yellow piece in the upper left corner, was the largest piece of the hood of my beloved 1973 corvette. A truck hit me and I almost met the angels that morning in a heavy rain storm. HORRIBLE DAY!!

I remember both those pictures Al!! Hope your well 👍👍

• Options

@perkdog said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

I remember both those pictures Al!! Hope your well 👍👍

"73 was a nice C3! The last with the chrome bumper. Came close to getting an Ontario Orange one a few years ago before the wife stepped in and quashed that dream. lol

• Options
    edited July 29, 2021 7:03PM

Well, if you can change her mind, I've seen some sweet 70's corvettes on Mecum Auctions for realistic money. I'm talking under $20k with a 350 engine. If you want muscle, it'll cost more. I had my vette nicely tweaked.

When it was a sweet, sweet machine. Worst ticket I got was 96 in a 65 in St Augustine, FL. In my 30s, sounds cranked up, hot lady with me going to Daytona Beach...till the blue lights lit up.

• Options

Doing well Paul, hope you're the same.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Well, if you can change her mind, I've seen some sweet 70's corvettes on Mecum Auctions for realistic money. I'm talking under $20k with a 350 engine. If you want muscle, it'll cost more. I had my vette nicely tweaked.

When it was a sweet, sweet machine. Worst ticket I got was 96 in a 65 in St Augustine, FL. In my 30s, sounds cranked up, hot lady with me going to Daytona Beach...till the blue lights lit up.

Sweet looking car! Sorry about your accident. Did you ever take it to the Turkey Run? Been to the Mecum auction in Orlando in previous years, definitely some deals to be had on the stock later C3 models. That show used to coincide with the ncrs show every January there in Orlando.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Doing well Paul, hope you're the same.

🍻👍👍

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

If and buts. If the Bills win a Super Bowl and if Allen wins MVP then this card maybe an easy million. Any have $50K laying around? I’ll pay you back a $1 a week.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces That’s a nice Allen card! I agree with you about him as well

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Most collectors couldn’t or wouldn’t spend that kind of money on speculation but an investor wouldn’t think twice. There’s another one of one at $30K. A 6 month investment could easily turn into $1M or zero. I would think the safe investment for that kind of money would be a Ruth or a Wagner. Not much chance of an injury at this point.
    Also to add I talked to the misses about the $30k card last night and she said if I want it to go ahead and get it. I’ll keep you posted.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

Most collectors couldn’t or wouldn’t spend that kind of money on speculation but an investor wouldn’t think twice. There’s another one of one at $30K. A 6 month investment could easily turn into $1M or zero. I would think the safe investment for that kind of money would be a Ruth or a Wagner. Not much chance of an injury at this point.
    Also to add I talked to the misses about the $30k card last night and she said if I want it to go ahead and get it. I’ll keep you posted.

If you buy that card, just remember, it's value depends on his success.........and he is soon up against Big Mac.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

yolo bro

• Options
    edited July 30, 2021 12:18PM

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

best thing to do is load up on these rpas of every qb that goes 2nd round or higher about a year after release. usually the qb that emerges and ends up being the standout comes from deeper in the draft than the hyped ones. throw a couple grand covering the bases on the qbs no one else is chasing and then unload. rinse wash repeat.

hoping josh plays very well and w trubisky signed as probable back up, the bills let fromm walk. stafford, another ga qb, is finally gonna get his time to shine. and i think fromm is better than stafford.

• Options

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

Good luck if you pull the trigger on it, it’s definitely an investment with huge upside. Even if it don’t happen this year, he should be a contender for awhile anyways, the Bills keep getting better. Definitely keep me updated if you take a shot at it

• Options

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

Good luck if you pull the trigger on it, it’s definitely an investment with huge upside. Even if it don’t happen this year, he should be a contender for awhile anyways, the Bills keep getting better. Definitely keep me updated if you take a shot at it

agree and its crazy to think, but as seen above w mahomes, $30k could still be viewed as the floor. way more upside than down w allen, imo. best of luck too!

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:

Great looking set. Mind sharing what kind of display case that is?

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

I built the display case myself. I used poplar and 1/4" plywood for the backing. When doing the math, I discovered that 15 cards across times 14 rows = a perfect 210...how lucky is that? I cut a 1/4" dado (groove) in the row pieces, about 1/4" inch in from the edge of the piece, and the bottom case piece that is actually the 14th row. The 1/4" groove allowed for the cards to tilt nicely toward the back of the case and eliminated fall out. I did add a little bit of slop, maybe 1/2" to allow me to take a card out without the other 14 falling on the floor.

The case pieces were stock 1x4, which allowed for 3 1/2" around, and I ripped the 13 rows a bit short to create a bit of a shadow box effect. Its been a long time, but I think the case was about 5' 7". not square, but I can't recall the other dimension. Easy math can pull the number out. As for the backing, I cut a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" ply, I made sure the cut pieces married up directly behind a row, making the splice transparent. I stained it twice with a walnut stain. I used scrap wood to ensure the rows were parallel to each other. Maybe 3 or 4 pieces, then I popped them out and repeated the process.

Fun project, took me the better part of a Saturday in my garage. Did it alone, so not really a big deal to do. If you look closely at the bottom, you'll see that I had the case rest on a cleat to support the weight. I just used a few wood screws into a few studs, then randomly used 1" sheet rock screws randomly throughout the case once I had it on the wall, maybe 10 or so. The fun was putting all the cards in. It was facing a north wall to avoid sun beating on the cards.

Helps to have the tools, 4 saw horses, and a table saw pretty much did the trick.

Really a stunning view when displayed all at once as opposed to begin stacked up or in a box.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

If you buy that card, just remember, it's value depends on his success.........and he is soon up against Big Mac.

DON'T FORGET, If you make such a purchase and then sell it on eBay, you will have a heart attack when you see the bite eBay will take out of you. At a minimum, it'll be 12.35% IF you buy a card for $30k, depending what the sales tax in your state is, lets assume 7%, well, you're gonna get hammered for $2,100.00 in sales tax. NOW, the card is worth $35k, and you decide to get that Harley you can't live without. You put the $35k card on eBay, when it sells, you will get HAMMERED for at least 12.35%, which is a whopping $4,322.50, right off the top. All your profit just went poof.

PM me if you want some private advice, which I rarely do.
    Al

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

DON'T FORGET, If you make such a purchase and then sell it on eBay, you will have a heart attack when you see the bite eBay will take out of you. At a minimum, it'll be 12.35% IF you buy a card for $30k, depending what the sales tax in your state is, lets assume 7%, well, you're gonna get hammered for $2,100.00 in sales tax. NOW, the card is worth $35k, and you decide to get that Harley you can't live without. You put the $35k card on eBay, when it sells, you will get HAMMERED for at least 12.35%, which is a whopping $4,322.50, right off the top. All your profit just went poof.

Al

Wow!

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

Al

not only that, when you go to sell, if your customer is in an 8% sales tax state, you will actually get charged 12.35% of $37,800, not $35k. double ouch.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure I believe any of those type of sales are real