Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

1899 Silver Certificate help...

Hello folks, this has been lost for about 6 years, picked it up on the Coin Depots bid board. I'm a copper guy...Any idea of condition and value? TIA!

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Black Eagle. It’s hard to determine grades from flat scans. Is there any way you can photograph the the note with side lighting, so we can see the folds ?

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you!

• Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

FR# 236....a fairly common/available note.My best guess is vf35 and a value in the range of $200 +/-.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options

I agree with Rob’s comments above.

• Options

Thank you.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice note :)

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always liked the looks of the Black Eagle dollars but have yet to put one in my collection.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@BadWithMoney said:
    Is it wavy from water damage?

No. These notes were slightly dampened when printed to help with the intaglio printing process.

• Options

Is it frowned upon to put in a book to flatten it?

• Options

Personally, I’d put it in a quality Mylar currency sleeve and leave it alone.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

The extreme side lighting shows the natural waviness of the paper but that waviness is the original texture of the paper and is present on and characteristic of newly printed CU notes when viewed at this extreme angle.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

You guys nailed it just graded VF35. Speelman

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 422 ✭✭✭

@SoCalBigMark said:
    Is it frowned upon to put in a book to flatten it?

While others may disagree (or remain undecided), I think so. You flatten it & you've altered it (to look better to you). It appears to be very attractive VF-EF note as is (wrinkles & all) & in its original condition IMO.*

If I were shopping for a note like yours & saw it versus a note which was flattened/pressed, I take the original (unmolested note) rather than the 'doctored/processed' note. Why? Because it is more collectible/uncommon. People flattened (pressed/washed) & doctored old notes all the time back in the day. There are far too many older/doctored notes & that makes an original note more desirable. Dealers discount doctored notes regularly (unless very scarce) to get ride of them. As @Steve_in_Tampa suggested, put it in a good large mylar sleeve & keep it in a dry place for proper storage (no light).

*[Cannot judge a note's grade without inspecting it personally but from the images/comments, that's what it appears to be]