Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Sale of ANA Museum Duplicates

ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 28, 2021 11:07AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

It was recently noted on the US Forum that the ANA Museum will be holding a sale of museum duplicates. I have no official status to make anything resembling a formal announcement. Having taught at Summer Seminar for several years, I felt comfortable calling Douglas Mudd, ANA Museum Director, and got this information. There are 100,000+ items for sale The vast majority are World coins and currency. Some very common, some highly esoteric. It is unlikely that any specific item has more than $100 in value. I know little else (or, as a retired US dealer, didn't understand its significance when told). I posted a bit more on the US Forum but my cut and paste skill are NOT awesome.

Hopefully someone here is on the World Currency Forum and will pass this along to that group.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

Comments

• Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

I have observed that ANS has also listed some world coins on eBay its dups which have brought very strong prices. Is it because there’s something special about having been sold by ANS? I don’t think there were any special labels.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where does one find the list of these items for sale? I'd love to see the more esoteric items.

• Options
    edited July 28, 2021 1:03PM

ANS and ANA are two discrete organizations with very different charters. ANS' is almost exclusively on research. Their museum donors tend to be more sophisticated and more scholarly. Not having seen either listing, I'm guessing the ANS offerings will be a more target-rich environment for well-informed collectors.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2021 11:26AM

@pruebas - I can assure you that anyone other than myself can find them without possessing computer-geek skills. I myself am entering this post from the keyboard of my abacus.

• Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

ANA store on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/usr/american-numismatic-society
    ANS store on ebay:

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I saw that. Nothing there.

Rather than look every week, I wanted the full list of 100,000+ items they wanted to deaccession so that I can do it once and be done.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

This sale auction has been going on for some time. I check it periodically. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been checking periodically. I haven't seen anything I want yet. A lot of items have been going for very strong prices. And I haven't seen a single thing yet that I felt the ANA should be keeping in its collection.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the last WoF in Denver I spoke with one of the ANA officers. I suggested that they sell
    their duplicates. At that time they said that they had been doing that for a few years. And
    we as the hobby are just now finding out. They indicated that the ANA was using a couple
    of auction houses for that purpose.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

If only the Smithsonian would do the same thing.

All glory is fleeting.