Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

On the hunt for something from British India

Any collectors of British lndia coins here?
I am looking for a nice toned Victorian specimen, particularly a Rupee. I posted a request on BST and got no responses.
If you have such a coin you might wish to sell or can offer Any suggestions, it would be appreciated .

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about the 1911 "Pig" rupee? What was supposed to be an elephant ended up looking like a pig on the coin and resulted in riots especially in Muslim areas. I don't really do British India but have a small collection of some of the Indian Native States like Kutch, Jodhpur etc.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have one?
    I prefer to stay in the Victorian era.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    ZwiggyZwiggy Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

Toning wise the 1916-1920 rupees have toned really well on average and are easily available on eBay in nice grades. For Victorian rupees, You will rarely come across nicely toned young portrait coins (1840) but the coins around 1890-98 for some reason toned well. I don’t have any extras and I don’t see any nice toners up for sale from the auction houses - but they do come up regularly and you should be able to find one in a year or so. You should also look out for Victoria rupees from Bikaner since they toned well too...

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

TTT