Home Sports Talk
Options

Who do you think will be the next HOFers put in by the Veterans Committee?

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since they have been putting in a lot of American Leaguers lately I'll go with Dave Parker and Steve Garvey.

Again it's who you think they will put in not if you think they deserve it or not

Personally I want to see Lou Whitaker get voted in

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately Whitaker has a long wait. His era doesn't come up for vote until December 2023, but I think he will be put in on that committee. Dwight Evans has a strong chance as well. Keith Hernandez has been gaining a lot of traction in the baseball world. I don't believe he was on the ballot the last time, so that may hinder his chances.

Minoso and Dick Allen most likely the next two to go in.

The inclusion of the Negro league stats will help Minoso get over the top, not just because of the stats(which aren't super helpful because it doesn't comprise a lot of games), but because it highlights that he missed several MLB seasons because of that.

Oliva 50/50.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2021 7:54PM

In December 2021, the Golden Days and Early Baseball committees will meet to select players for possible induction; They'll look at players from before 1970.

So I'd say possibly Minnie Minoso, Gil Hodges and Bill Dahlen.

With Dick Allen, I just wonder which committee he would fall under. He played from 1963-1977, so his career is split fairly evenly between the Golden Days and Modern Baseball committees; with the Modern committee not meeting until December 2023.

Steve

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2021 8:03PM

I didn't realize that the modern committee doesn't meet again until late 2023. I could rally behind both Allen and Minnie. Hodges is a good call for them to put in

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they put in Baines and Miller, who the heck knows? Its a popularity contest.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sherry Magee

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:
    In December 2021, the Golden Days and Early Baseball committees will meet to select players for possible induction; They'll look at players from before 1970.

So I'd say possibly Minnie Minoso, Gil Hodges and Bill Dahlen.

With Dick Allen, I just wonder which committee he would fall under. He played from 1963-1977, so his career is split fairly evenly between the Golden Days and Modern Baseball committees; with the Modern committee not meeting until December 2023.

Steve

Last voting cycle Allen was on the Golden Era ballot. He had 11 votes and just missed. Hodges only had 3. The spotlight has moved to Minoso though, who had 8 votes last time. Allen still has very strong backing.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    If they put in Baines and Miller, who the heck knows? Its a popularity contest.

Miller was actually a really good choice.

It's worse than that, though. It's a popularity contest among a very small group all sitting in the same room. No matter what you think of the BBWAA vote, it has to be almost impossible to lobby a significant number of your fellow voters to support a marginal or worse candidate. If you have some guy with three teammates on the committee who manages to make the ballot regardless of how worthy, I think he has a really good chance.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

I thought Allen would get in last time. I think he'll make it this time.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:
    Sherry Magee

Good pick.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@LandrysFedora said:
    Sherry Magee

Good pick.

Thank you. Magee put up some really good numbers (over 2,000 hits, multiple .300 seasons) in an era dominated by Cobb and Wagner.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rocky Colavito followed by Gil Hodges

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.