Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Unopened Topps Chrome Boxes?

I have about 30 unopened of the boxes below. I dont really collect this stuff. Question is: Are they better off unopened or should I rip 'em? I checked online but still do not really know what is what. Thanks all. Bobby

2020 Topps Chrome Baseball NEW FACTORY SEALED Update Series Box
2020 Topps Chrome Baseball NEW FACTORY SEALED Update Series BLUE MEGA BOX

Comments

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bobbybakeriv said:
    I have about 30 unopened of the boxes below. I dont really collect this stuff. Question is: Are they better off unopened or should I rip 'em? I checked online but still do not really know what is what. Thanks all. Bobby

I know nothing about these, but my feeling is that almost everything is worth more unopened. If you change your mind later you can always rip.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bobbybakeriv said:

store them appropriately. id say wait at least 3 years before any of the rookies really start to emerge and then base whether to hold longer based off the overall rookie class. think about the folks 2018 product just because acuna was hot. then soto or gleyber got hot then they sold. then albies emerged and they sold. then all of a sudden ohtani bounced back and sealed stuff went even higher.

dont know much about the 20 rookie class but with modern it seems best time to sell is on release for easy flip, after 3 years or hold for the 10+ year when you know the rookies who will be hof bound are locks. i have a ton of ‘18 update and so thankful i didnt sell when it seemed foolish not to.

selling a few to make your holding pattern as cheap as possible or free is also wise too.

• Vintagehoarder1986Vintagehoarder1986 Posts: 137 ✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2021 9:56PM

@bobbybakeriv said:

This depends on how you feel about the matter. Obviously, its going to be worth more unopened, but as blurryface mentioned, if you want to hold and wait for the stars to emerge, then that's a good call to make to sell later down the road. However, that would be a long term hold, and you said you dont collect it. For me, I would just sell it, unless you wanted to wait to see whatgood rookies emerge later on. I have nowhere to conveniently store such bulky items, so selling would be my option