Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Does the toning on this Hadrian denarius make it look better or worse?

What do you guys think?

Would it look better untoned or do you think it looks better toned?

I bought it as it is. I didn’t tone it myself. It’s natural toning.

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's really up to you. I have some ancients with similar toning & find it attractive.

• CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2021 7:56AM

As a general rule I would recommend leaving ancient coins as they are. The less you hurt them the better.

That's just me though !

That denarius is nice, I wouldn't mind having it in my trays.

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. The toning at least on the obverse helps add some depth to the coin.

Always seems weird to me that a 2000 year old coin is bright white. But hey, different strokes for different folks.

My current "Box of 20"

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the toning.
    Please don’t dip it!!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like just as it is.
    It's a great looking coin.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice look... its a keeper. I am not much of an ancients guy... well maybe except for age. Seriously... it looks good

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • BSmithBSmith Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

I like the toning, I think it has nice eye appeal.

• MKUltra24MKUltra24 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭

@BSmith said:
    I like the toning, I think it has nice eye appeal.

@BustDMs said:
    I like it.

@coinkat said:
    nice look... its a keeper. I am not much of an ancients guy... well maybe except for age. Seriously... it looks good

Thanks everyone for your input & opinions I appreciate it :)

@Yorkshireman said:
    I like the toning.
    Please don’t dip it!!

Oh I wasn’t going to dip it or try to clean it or anything like that.

I was just considering selling it and buying a different one of a more silvery appearance.

But based on what people have posted on this thread I’ll just keep it :)

@JohnnyCache said:
    I like just as it is.
    It's a great looking coin.

Thanks! I guess I’ll be keeping it since people have shared that it looks fine to them.

I was considering buying a different one and selling this one but now I’ve decided to just keep it.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks great just as it is!

All glory is fleeting.

@291fifth said:
    It looks great just as it is!

Thanks :). I was going to sell it and replace it but from what people have posted it sounds like there is no need to replace it and I should just keep this one as it is.

edited July 26, 2021 7:50PM

@Cucumbor said:
    As a general rule I would recommend leaving ancient coins as they are. The less you hurt them the better.

That's just me though !

That denarius is nice, I wouldn't mind having it in my trays.

Thanks :) I didn’t mean to imply that I was going to do anything to it. I just wasn’t sure if maybe I should sell it and get a better looking one without the toning.

I always follow the rule of never cleaning or altering coins in any way since I learned long ago with Morgan Dollars that people would rather have them uncleaned regardless of how they look because apparently there is a very thin layer on the surface of a coin that gets permanently removed with cleaning if it’s not done properly by experts such as PCGS conservation.

But with this Hadrian denarius I wasn’t sure if it was so ugly that I should sell it and get a better one or if it looks just fine as is.

However based on the replies I’ve gotten since originally posting it sounds like the majority think it’s just fine as it is.