Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Card collecting quirks

When I look at my cards I tend to notice every single imperfection the card might have. Yet, when I look at other people's cards I tend to look past minor imperfections and see the card's perfections. Of course, when I get that very same card in my collection I then begin to notice all the imperfections.

Comments

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are one of us. Welcome, take a seat.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Collector OCD. Once you see it, you can never "un" see it. No known cure.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options

Years ago I purchased an '82 Fleer SGC 100 on ebay thinking it would be really cool to own a "perfect" card. I was disappointed from the moment I laid eyes on it since I realized that it was just a really nice card in a holder that stated it was perfect when it fact it wasn't since there is no such thing (at least not the '82 and older cards I collect). After all, how could such a low tech, mass produced, cheaply made product ever be perfectly made? I examined every square millimeter of the card (front and back) and found plenty of reasons why it wasn't so perfect, and that was with my naked eye; imagine how disappointed I would have been if I had examined it under magnification! Slabbing a card doesn't magically make it better than it was when it was raw no matter whose holder it's in or what the flip says about it.