Home Stamps Forum
Options

Glue discoloration into the bottom flap on the back

bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

I have some FDCs from several years thru the ages, most are from mid to late 70s.What is happening is the glue that is used on the bottom flap that folds up on the back is changing color on the flap where it is glued. I don't think these have been exposed to direct light or sunlight. The older gentleman I bought them from had most in the mailing envelope they came in.

2 questions: First, will this cause a drastic price drop (not that these are worth much, I paid him $1 each for what he had. Second, is there something I can do to get rid of it. Any type of professional conservation would be worth multiple times more than the envolope.

Anyone with any thoughts, suggestions or comments are appreciated. I guess I could just replace it with a new one.

Thanks, Brian

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

The discoloration is a common problem. Little can be done about it. They probably have very little value in today's market so I wouldn't spend much time, effort or, especially, money trying to "conserve" them.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

That's what I figured. Did make a scan of it and I'll insert at the end. Should I buy another one or can I used. Looks like a lot of the FDCs are around a $, sometimes more and sometimes a little less. Here's the scan.

• Options

Thanks for the post 291fifth.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who made the FDCs. Are they Artcraft? That glue on the flap looks different.

In any case, that glue at the seams is not uncommon on older FDCs. The card inside the envelope is probably acidic which doesn't help.

You can get some acid free paper or card stock, or mylar, and make stuffer cards to put inside. Your bigger problem is if the staining bleeds through your the front of the envelope, which can happen.

Lastly, a dollar for an old FDC from that era is on the high side if you are buying in bulk. And at that price they should be unaddressed and in nice shape. (The staining on the back of older covers is somewhat normal).

• Options

If it a common cachet $1 would be high in today's market for a cover bought in a group lot. First day covers have declined in popularity in recent decades.
    What does the front of the cover look like? Who is the cachet maker?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Thanks for the replies, I'll try to answer all questions in this post. Yes, it's ArtCraft and it does have a card inside, but I don't know if it's acid free. Otherwise the fdc looks ok. I know $1 is a little high, but he gentleman I bought them from was a co-worker, so I said $1 each to be fair. This is the second one I've found to be a little off, another one has a pencil written address on it. Otherwise so far so good.

• Options

Unfortunately Artcraft cachets are among the most common. Hand drawn cachets, usually in colored pencil but sometimes in colored ink, are among the most sought after. Does the collection have any of those?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

No, the collection didn't, but I did purchase one (based on the Jim Bridger stamp out of the sheet.I think I have a scan of it, I'll look and insert it if I find it.

• Options

Did find one more envelope with the glue scans. Guess 2 out of about 30 isn't too bad. Did find 5 postal cards with a vertical rectangle right to the left of the postage scene. Maybe an inch high by 1/4 inch wide. Looks to regular for offset, wonder what they could be. Will try to post a scan either this evening yet or tomorrow.

• Options
    edited August 8, 2021 1:23AM

@bammerbb said:
    Did find one more envelope with the glue scans. Guess 2 out of about 30 isn't too bad. Did find 5 postal cards with a vertical rectangle right to the left of the postage scene. Maybe an inch high by 1/4 inch wide. Looks to regular for offset, wonder what they could be. Will try to post a scan either this evening yet or tomorrow.

That vertical bar on the postcards is normal.

It might be a phosphor tag to tell the machines where the postage imprint is for postmarking purposes.

Stamps also have a tag for the same purpose.

• Options

Here's the scan I promised. I have 5 different cards with the same rectangle.

• Options

Good photo.

That's normal. I used to think it was a strip that was meant to hold the cancellation ink in case anyone tried to bleach it out, but that really does not make much sense. :/

That is before I learned about phosphorescent tags. Most stamps (except low values) since the 1960s have phosphor strips printed on them, are coated entirely in phosphor, or are made from phosphor infused paper.

This allows their machines to orient the letter or card for proper postmarking and address reading.

• Options

Thanks for the info, something I didn't know. I'm just getting back into my collection.Haven't really did anything since my mom and I were collecting in the mid 80s till the early 90s. It's bringing back some memories, because some of the stamps were hers or mine and I can tell. Hope I can combine into one nice collection.