Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Eddie Mathews - 1953 4-4.5 or 1960 7-7.5?

Hello - looking for some guidance from the experts on this one. I got a ball signed by Eddie Mathews at a card show 30+ years ago as a kid. One of my Dad’s favorite players when he was growing up so there’s some sentimental value. I got the ball authenticated PSA/DNA. Looking for a card to pair with it.

All things being equal - price (roughly - within $25-50), eye appeal, “buy the card not the holder,” etc., would you go for a 1953 Topps (4-4.5, second year) or a higher graded (7-7.5) from 1960?

Comments

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

1953 in a landslide for me. 53 is such a beautiful set and Eddie’s card is great.

• Options
    Mo_MentumMo_Mentum Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

@Cooptown said:
    1953 in a landslide for me. 53 is such a beautiful set and Eddie’s card is great.

+1 Absolutely. 1953 Mathews makes a striking display card

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 1953 Bowman.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I like 1960 because is not a painting and there is 2 pictures.

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

They both have colors that pop, but I prefer the younger 1953 Mathews.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not claim to be an expert... but this is how I would evaluate this and then choose: How old was your dad in 1953 followed by 1960? Both cards are outstanding choices. While the 1953 may have an edge, perhaps your dad's memory of Matthews is from a slightly later time frame so maybe 1960 captures that memory. And it does seem to me that the memory is in part driving the decision.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2021 5:23AM

I always liked his 1953 Topps card. Just a "kid" with so much ahead of him. For a slightly larger display maybe get an old copy of the First Issue of Sports Illustrated as the background. Great picture of him in a crowded stadium...

• Options
    Geoff76Geoff76 Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for the feedback - I appreciate it. I’m leaning toward the 53 in part because it’s his second year and he’s with the Boston Braves. As the only person to play for the Boston, Milwaukee and Atlanta Braves (and manager of the Braves when Hank broke the record), I think that’s pretty cool.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I don't like horizontal cards (in general) so that's a strike against the 1960. The Matthews is not one of the best 1953s but it's still a sharp-looking card. I think 1953 is, in general, a better looking set and the Matthews from 53 looks better than the 60. So I would go that route.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always go for the higher grade - to me a '60 7.5 is the way to go. I like horizontal cards - so the '60 set is one of my favorites - but many dislike them.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

The '53 Mathews is criminally undervalued. I would get that now. Here's my beater that I got for $35 delivered a few years ago.

Arthur

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking Matthews... I suppose judgment should be withheld on the grade until it is seen in hand. Has an attractive and vibrant look.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.