Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Don't speak ill of eBay, now you know what they are allegedly capable

82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ebay-former-ceo-sued-over-193134557.html

The culture itself within Ebay fostered an almost cult-like atmosphere where employees were not only expected, but required, to fulfill company directives, regardless of criminality” - Steiner v. eBay Inc., 21-cv-11181, U.S. District Court

To Moderator, not sure if this is appropriate but my opinion is eBay is the largest used selling and buying platform of trading cards used by the members here. My apologies if my thought process is off on this.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

Comments

• Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2021 5:27PM

I clicked on the link and read the article. Your post implies that the U.S. District Court made the statement that you quoted. That is not accurate. The statement was made by the plaintiffs in their civil lawsuit for monetary damages against eBay and several employees, not by the Court. As we all know, people suing for money often make strong allegations in their lawsuit in an effort to obtain monetary damages. It remains to be seen whether the plaintiffs can prove their allegations in court.

While that lawsuit is apparently still pending and has not been resolved, the article does note that seven eBay employees were charged by the government with conspiracy in connection with the case and five have pled guilty. Ebay is quoted as saying it conducted its own investigation and was sorry with the actions of its employees. The plaintiifs' attorney stated that it would do its own investigation.

I suppose time will tell if the actions of the seven eBay employees were acting on their own or at the direction of the higher ups in eBay.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do hope the criminal side of the investigation continue to dig and dig.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

I remember when they sent severed pig heads (fake) to people and books about surviving the loss of a spouse etc..... a group of the employees I believed did some jail time. They were intimidating this couple that wrote for this on line blog/magazine. I think there was even forms of surveilance set up. Just awful. Really, really super disturbing. Did I say crazy super disturbing. Was a few years ago.