PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2022 3:55PM

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

Is the Gregory Brunk book Merchant Countermarks On World Coins from 1989 still the book to own or are there any updated versions or anything more recent on the subject?

I see he also published a 2003 edition is that a better book town?

The best "book town" is without a doubt Jimbōchō (calling @Stork). The best book shopping in the world. I used to go there at least once a week and never went home empty-handed.

Are you talking about merchant countermarks or counterstamps to re-validate a coin for use in another country?

Counterstamped coins are usually categorized by their counterstamp rather than where the host coins are from. So Spanish Philippine countermarks can be on Brazilian, Chilean, Peruvian, Mexican, etc. coins but they would be categorized first by either the F.70 or YII counterstamp they contain and second by the host coin.

I don't recall many books on this subject. There may be one on Philippine counterstamps. But your best references will probably be auction catalogs. The current Stacks ANA sale has a good listing of Philippines. The just-finished Jesus Vico sale had a selection of counterstamps from all over the world.

• Options

@pruebas said:

Is the Gregory Brunk book Merchant Countermarks On World Coins from 1989 still the book to own or are there any updated versions or anything more recent on the subject?

The best "book town" is without a doubt Jimbōchō (calling @Stork). The best book shopping in the world. I used to go there at least once a week and never went home empty-handed.

Are you talking about merchant countermarks or counterstamps to re-validate a coin for use in another country?

Counterstamped coins are usually categorized by their counterstamp rather than where the host coins are from. So Spanish Philippine countermarks can be on Brazilian, Chilean, Peruvian, Mexican, etc. coins but they would be categorized first by either the F.70 or YII counterstamp they contain and second by the host coin.

I don't recall many books on this subject. There may be one on Philippine counterstamps. But your best references will probably be auction catalogs. The current Stacks ANA sale has a good listing of Philippines. The just-finished Jesus Vico sale had a selection of counterstamps from all over the world.

Sorry I meant is the 2003 edition a good book to own?

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

Sorry I meant is the 2003 edition a good book to own?

I know what you meant. I was just playing on what you said!

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is an exhaustive and well-illustrated book on Philippine counterstamps that heavily prioritizes Latin American pieces since those were the most common host types, 'Resellos Filipinos' by Eldrich Yap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/392403519054

However, I don't think there is a general reference for counterstamps on these hosts, particularly since Mexican silver was distributed globally. A general world counterstamp book would probably be the best bet.

• Options

Thanks guys.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

The KM catalogs are a really good start. After that, there are many specialized works that are worth a look, but buying them all would be an expensive undertaking.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't recall to what degree Frank Rose's book on chop marks overlaps with counterstamps and "quasi-regulated coinage".

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell