Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Rare North Russia 1918 500 Rubles Remainder Featured in the Stacks Bowers Galleries ANA Sale

Hello all,
My name is Chris and I am a cataloger of both US and World Paper Money at Stacks Bowers Galleries. Today I am sharing with you one of my favorite lots in our upcoming August ANA auction. It is Lot 30435, a North Russia P-S143 1918 500 Rubles Remainder which would have been issued by the Chaikovskii Government.

The North of Russia was in much turmoil when this note was printed in 1918. Allied troops were landing at Archangelsk and Murmansk to reinforce White Army forces against the rapidly advancing Red Army, although this would later prove futile. By 1919, the Allies had abandoned the North of Russia and the White Russian Northern Army was left to fight against the more disciplined Red Army alone. The region later capitulated to Bolshevik rule in early 1920. This note is a lasting testament to the Provisional Government of the Northern Region.

The note is found in remainder form and from the second issue series. No signatures are found on this remainder, and the note is pen cancelled at the left end on both the obverse and reverse. This note is found with a red serial number of "ЦС021502" at left and right ends. The overprint typically covering the phrase over the text box at left on the face is also missing, along with the overprints over the arms. The reverse of the note depicts a portrait of a woman at left, and an allegorical woman is found at right watching over a sea port, with a fast approaching ship seen in the background. Auction appearances of this variety are almost non-existent, and this note is surely missing from the most advances collections of Russian paper money. This is the first example we have handled in remainder form in our long history, and are excited to finally offer this note to collectors. PCGS Banknote comments "Internal Damage, Pinholes."

The Stack’s Bowers Galleries August ANA World paper money auction is currently posted to our website for bidding. To consign your U.S. and World paper money to a future sale or if you have any questions about lots in our upcoming sales, please do not hesitate to send me a message or an email at CDahncke@stacksbowers.com. The world paper money sale will take place on August 16th starting at 10 AM PDT. The US Currency sale will start at 2 PM PDT on August 18th. Thanks, and happy collecting!

Comments