Home Sports Talk
Options

Courageous athletic performances

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Herschel Walker dislocates his shoulder on the second play of the national championship game against Notre Dame.

Doctors tell Herschel on the sideline that he’s out of the game. Herschel says no I’m not, and he plays the rest of the game and Georgia wins the national championship.

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

September, 1992: Browns vs Dolphins
    KOSAR PLAYED GAME ON BROKEN ANKLE

X-rays taken at the Cleveland Clinic on Tuesday revealed a hairline fracture in Kosar's right ankle, injured in the first half of the Cleveland Browns' 27-23 Monday night loss to the Miami Dolphins.Kosar played the entire game, limping throughout the second half but still managing to throw two fourth-quarter touchdown passes that gave the Browns a short-lived 23-20 lead. Miami won it on Mark Higgs' 1-yard run with seven seconds left.

"It happened either in the first or second quarter," said Kosar, who was sacked twice and hit hard several other times in the first half. "I tried not to think about it. I tried to move around a lot on the sidelines to keep it loose, and just tried not to think about it."

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://youtu.be/U-jzYMSiNHQ

My all time favorite courageous performance goes to Byron Leftwich.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jack Youngblood played through the 1979 NFL playoffs with a broken leg, not because he was courageous, but because he was just plain tough. If you don't know, you better ask somebody!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isaiah Thomas vs the Celtics . If you don't know what I'm taking about shame on you

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

how about this dude winning the 2008 U.S. Open with a broken leg & a torn ACL

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kellen Winslow in the AFC Divisional Playoff on Jan 2, 1982 in Miami.

Steve

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bloody Sock anyone?

• Options

Iverson vs Jordan rookie year?

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I played half a football season with a broken big toe. I didn't know how courageous I was at the time. I only found out that the toe was broken after the season was over. That's when I knew how courageous I really am. Even now I feel courageous just thinking about it. Really courageous.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keith loses teeth, but shows plenty of heart

May 23, 2010

CHICAGO -- The chicklets came pouring out of his mouth, and one even got stuck in the back of his throat. Duncan Keith lost seven teeth in all, three on the top and four on the bottom, when the puck came off Patrick Marleau's stick and hit him square in the mouth.

That was with 12:30 remaining in the second period of Sunday's series-clinching win over the San Jose Sharks. Seven minutes later, after some pronto dental work behind closed doors, Keith was back on the ice for the Chicago Blackhawks.

Wow.

"It's just missing teeth," Keith said through his bloodied and swollen mouth. "It's a long way from the heart."

Keith said he knew from taking one breath after the puck struck him that he was going to need some serious dental work later Sunday.

"I just knew right away," he said. "I took one breath and it felt like my whole mouth was missing so I knew there were some teeth gone."

At least two of them dropped out of his mouth. He had to cough one up. The others, well, Keith has no idea where they went.

"A bunch of them disintegrated, it felt like," Keith said.

It seemed like the Blackhawks hopes of winning Game 4 were disintegrating, too. San Jose scored a shorthanded goal seconds after the puck hit Keith -- a bounce off his mouth that proved fortuitous for the Sharks -- to grab a 2-0 lead. Keith, Chicago's best defenseman and a Norris Trophy finalist, was locked in a room (without mirrors, by the way), getting worked on as his team was trying to mount a comeback.

Keith admitted he was less than happy with the cirsumstances.

Then he heard "Chelsea Dagger" start blaring throughout the United Center and he knew the Hawks had gotten one back. It was after a lengthy review, but Keith's sidekick, Brent Seabrook, was credited with his third goal of the playoffs.

All of a sudden Keith felt better.

The needles that the dentists were puncturing his mouth with started to work their magic. His gums and teeth, or what was left of them, started to go numb ("Froze up," Keith called it). He realized that two of the teeth he lost, well, they were fake anyway.

Soon after, he was back on the ice and the Blackhawks were motoring again. Several minutes later, Keith wound up with the secondary assist on Dave Bolland's game-tying goal.

Even though he missed a few shifts, Keith still logged a game-high 29:02 of ice time, including more than 12 minutes in the third period. He blocked five shots.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alfonz24 said:

May 23, 2010

CHICAGO -- The chicklets came pouring out of his mouth, and one even got stuck in the back of his throat. Duncan Keith lost seven teeth in all, three on the top and four on the bottom, when the puck came off Patrick Marleau's stick and hit him square in the mouth.

That was with 12:30 remaining in the second period of Sunday's series-clinching win over the San Jose Sharks. Seven minutes later, after some pronto dental work behind closed doors, Keith was back on the ice for the Chicago Blackhawks.

Wow.

"It's just missing teeth," Keith said through his bloodied and swollen mouth. "It's a long way from the heart."

Keith said he knew from taking one breath after the puck struck him that he was going to need some serious dental work later Sunday.

"I just knew right away," he said. "I took one breath and it felt like my whole mouth was missing so I knew there were some teeth gone."

At least two of them dropped out of his mouth. He had to cough one up. The others, well, Keith has no idea where they went.

"A bunch of them disintegrated, it felt like," Keith said.

It seemed like the Blackhawks hopes of winning Game 4 were disintegrating, too. San Jose scored a shorthanded goal seconds after the puck hit Keith -- a bounce off his mouth that proved fortuitous for the Sharks -- to grab a 2-0 lead. Keith, Chicago's best defenseman and a Norris Trophy finalist, was locked in a room (without mirrors, by the way), getting worked on as his team was trying to mount a comeback.

Keith admitted he was less than happy with the cirsumstances.

Then he heard "Chelsea Dagger" start blaring throughout the United Center and he knew the Hawks had gotten one back. It was after a lengthy review, but Keith's sidekick, Brent Seabrook, was credited with his third goal of the playoffs.

All of a sudden Keith felt better.

The needles that the dentists were puncturing his mouth with started to work their magic. His gums and teeth, or what was left of them, started to go numb ("Froze up," Keith called it). He realized that two of the teeth he lost, well, they were fake anyway.

Soon after, he was back on the ice and the Blackhawks were motoring again. Several minutes later, Keith wound up with the secondary assist on Dave Bolland's game-tying goal.

Even though he missed a few shifts, Keith still logged a game-high 29:02 of ice time, including more than 12 minutes in the third period. He blocked five shots.

I was watching that game and saw it happen.

I think Bob Baun scores an overtime Stanley Cup final goal on a broken leg.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Isaiah Thomas vs the Celtics . If you don't know what I'm taking about shame on you

m

I feel as though this could have several different meanings. Yet I don't want to feel bad, so...

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2021 12:37PM

@thisistheshow said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

I feel as though this could have several different meanings. Yet I don't want to feel bad, so...

Nah. Shame on me. I meant to type Lakers.

NBA finals Isaiah badly sprains ankle in the Finals. Exits game and comes back noticeably limping. Proceeds to score 25 points in the third quarter. Still a NBA record. Hold my beer

https://youtu.be/ysBBPJT6nJ8

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2021 2:31PM

@Alfonz24 said:

Reminds me of the time I was driving to the game with my teammate. His name was David. He played left tackle. He was eating an Abba Zabba candy bar. His favorite. Anyway, he turned to me with the most nonchalant look and he was holding BOTH of his two front teeth between his thumb and forefinger! The perils of eating an Abba Zabba! Then........he casually tossed the teeth out of the window! I thought it was funny at the time but now I realize how COURAGEOUS he was! Because......he played the whole game WITHOUT his two front teeth!!!!!!! What a MAN! Courageous! I rank his performance as the most courageous EVER!

P.S. I've never eaten an Abba Zabba since then. Some say it was the outer chewy white taffy that caused David to lose his teeth....... I think it was the creamed peanut center! Who knows?

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of good ones. Most recent. Brady on torn ligaments and Cole Beasley on a broken leg.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nolan Ryan staying in the game after Bo Jackson's come-backer busted his lip.

Steve

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

Willis Reed, playing on one leg, even though only for minutes, in the NBA finals to spark his team to the championship.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Ray Nitscke lost teeth and continued to play. After the game he and teammates went onto the field to look for them.
    The beating Evander Holyfield took in his fight with Lewis stands out as one of the most courageous sports acts I have ever seen.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was a good one. An already broken down Larry Bird returns to the game with his cheek now broken. Rumor has it that he was seeing double for the rest of the game. In my opinion, he's the GOAT.

https://youtu.be/HQpWgcUaeh4

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ronnie Lott had the choice of missing a playoff game or amputated part of his finger. He chose amputated.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

jackie robinson several times over.

every hank aaron at bat between #714 & #715. heck most of them even leading up to it too.

• Options
    edited July 20, 2021 9:15PM

I understand that throwing baseballs and footballs and bouncing basketballs can sometimes be hazardous.....takes a lot of courage to be around that..........So many times its compared to a BATTLE......oh.....anyone here ever had a hand grenade thrown their way?.........It's kinda a sporting event too..doesn't require courage but it's really scary to be on the receiving end. The results can even be worse than when Nolan Ryan got a busted lip. Way worse. Baseballs, Footballs, Basketballs,.....Hand Grenades! It's all the same......Throwing things......Boys will be boys!

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    I understand that throwing baseballs and footballs and bouncing basketballs can sometimes be hazardous.....takes a lot of courage to be around that..........anyone here ever had a hand grenade thrown their way?.........It's kinda a sporting event too..doesn't require courage but it's really scary....really!!!!!!

with that being said all the players that went off to war. pat tillman too.