Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What year is this Topps vending box?

stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased this at a card show today. The seller had several vending boxes for sale, and the year was indicated on each vending box except for this one. It's obvious that I could break the seal to find out what's in it, but I prefer to keep it sealed. Can any of tell me what year this is based solely on the photos?

Comments

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm showing 1-081-69-01-5 on all of my 86 baseball vending boxes.
    I hope this helps you.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2021 1:40AM

The last digit in the product code (-7) signifies the year of design for that packaging. That box could be as early as a 1977 Topps baseball vending box as that same product code was used beginning with 1977 and at least through 1982 (the latest vending box I have on hand). No way to know for sure what year till you open it, unfortunately. It's no later than 1985, though, as Topps began stamping the date on the lid beginning in 1986.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2021 6:20AM

thats not the box used for 1977 so i would guess its 1978 and if you look at this auction, the bottom number is the same,
    https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-cards/1978-topps-baseball-500-count-vending-box-gai-gem-mint-95/a/152104-44110.s

• Options
    edited July 18, 2021 9:52AM

@coinspacks said:
    thats not the box used for 1977 so i would guess its 1978 and if you look at this auction, the bottom number is the same,
    https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-cards/1978-topps-baseball-500-count-vending-box-gai-gem-mint-95/a/152104-44110.s

No, Topps used this same box with that product code 1-081-69-01-7 from 1977 through at least 1982, if not 1985. Topps routinely reused boxes for multiple years during this era, especially with packaging as plain as vending.

https://www.smalltraditions.com/unopened_1977_topps_baseball_vending_box_pair-lot28786.aspx

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Hmm. That's the first time I have seen 1977 vending that states picture cards on the box. Usually 1977 and earlier state trading cards on it.

I'd be curious to see the vending pattern on those small tradition boxes.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you must rip!

• Options
    edited July 18, 2021 10:23AM

@coinspacks said:
    Hmm. That's the first time I have seen 1977 vending that states picture cards on the box. Usually 1977 and earlier state trading cards on it.

I'd be curious to see the vending pattern on those small tradition boxes.

It's possible they may have redesigned the box mid-year as they did with cello pack wrappers in 1974 and 1975, but as a rule the last digit in the product code corresponds with the year of first use/introduction, though in many cases Topps also reused the same packaging/wrappers for multiple years, as well.

ETA: It does appear that the 1977 vending boxes with Picture Cards on the boxes were introduced mid year in 1977, which would make sense given the product code on bottom.

Here's another example:

https://goldinauctions.com/1977_Topps_Baseball_Vending_Block_Collection__10_-LOT81475.aspx

• Options

Dang, I don't want to rip, but it's tempting. I suspect 1984 myself, but I can't be certain.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Were vending boxes taped like that ever?

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2021 12:30PM

Vending boxes were not sealed so I don't see an issue with opening it to see what it is. It could be a box full of 1988 Donruss commons

• Options

it's not something you could sell anyway so open it and pull the first card. that tape was put on after the fact so it is highly possible the box has alreaady been culled. at a minimum , it is best to open and check the vending pattern

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

You got me curious now and I don't even care about unopened vending boxes. How much did it set you back? I vote for it to be opened!!!

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

@rcmb3220 said:
    Were vending boxes taped like that ever?

No.

• Options

@mrmopar said:
    You got me curious now and I don't even care about unopened vending boxes. How much did it set you back? I vote for it to be opened!!!

It set me back a full $10.

Based on the latest responses, I guess I must open it to see what new and exciting treasures lie within.

I'll let y'all know!

• Options

For $10, I change my vote to a searched box of commons from random different years :)

• Options

@coinspacks said:
    For $10, I change my vote to a searched box of commons from random different years :)

I hope they're cards that were considered commons in 1959. Presumably, that could include Bob Gibson, Frank Robinson, and Orlando Cepeda. 😀

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck. You almost can't lose for $10. Most people waste more than that like it was nothing.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

I vote that it is 1987 or 88.

• Options

I just opened it, and it was 1984 Topps as I suspected. They were in there nice and tight. I really don't believe they've been searched. For $10, I haven't lost anything for sure! Thanks for all your comments and help with this.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

Did you remove the cards? If not, post a photo of the cards in the box and someone here can tell you if it's searched or not.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

I actually had two of the boxes. I opened the first, only to find that all the stars had been removed. The second box yielded similar results. Oh well, for $10 each I was willing to take the risk. It didn't pay off, but I'm only out $20. It was fun to look through them though!

• Options

20 bucks for 2 clean boxes of 84 is not a complete loss. pull out all your hometown guys and send them for TTM , I bought a box of late 80's racks 45 bucks for 45 racks to get cards to send out