Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Desperation grading...

bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

First off, I preface this post with an opinion. PSA is the “cream of the grading crop, bar none.” However, I am primarily a collector and most often want my cards to be encapsulated (protected). I just submitted a $500 dollar order with GMA (25 Modern) - at least, I mailed it today. I know, I know, not the best. But I personally like their flips and don’t care much about resale. I have sold a ton of PSA PC duplicate cards and I know the value that brings, But with the “new” grading standards and questionable grades (IMHO – at least compared to my previous 18 years of experience with PSA), the YEAR long turnaround time, and the inability to even submit…I choose to go elsewhere. I am a collector foremost and am not flipping “Fortnite” cards or whatever – although I will admit that I did purchase 20 unopened packs, 3 boxes and a Brazilian case for just that reason. LOL . Thanks Blurry! LOL again. I will make my money back at some point. Blurry is on the money at least 95% of the time and knows his S#!# without question. Anyhow just talking to my fellow collectors and friends. Flame away, or hopefully offer advice. PSA rocks but is simply not an option for me right now. Plus, these cards (most modern) are really nice. I would not submit my Topps 76s, 77s, 78s,nor 80s, to GMA. I will wait for PSA to come back online for that. I have a ton of unsearched raw of each year. Happy collecting and goodluck! Bobby

Comments

• Options
    bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭

Good idea, these GMA cards really hold their value, since the company is so well respected and reputable

• Options
    edited July 17, 2021 12:42PM

@bobmoat said:
    Good idea, these GMA cards really hold their value, since the company is so well respected and reputable

Like I said, I am simply looking for protection and not resale value. Flame away, you are entitled to your opinion. Plus, PSA IS NOT accepting subs right now. I can always crack and resub later. My truly valuable (relatively) cards will go to PSA. I own over 20 1970s Topps 10s. I get it.

• Options
    bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭

If that is considered flaming, what does it say about what you think of the company?

• Options
    edited July 17, 2021 12:51PM

@bobmoat said:
    If that is considered flaming, what does it say about what you think of the company?

? Not sure what you mean? I didn't think you were being rude nor flaming. I was just restating my reasons. I apologize for my lack of eloquence in my response. Upon rereading, I should have worded my reply differently.

edit: What happened to "buy the card, not the holder?" :)

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Seems more like a lack of patience. Sleeve/toploader the cards and wait. What's the rush to get them in a slab if not re-selling?

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2021 3:41PM

So for 25 cards, you are paying $20 per card. You could have sent them to SGC for $30 a card and got back something that is respectable and sell-able when the time comes. Instead, you've saved $250 to get some nice sealed cardsavers that have only negative resale value. I know you say don't care about resale, but won't you be embarrassed showing them to other "knowledgeable" collector friends? I guess if these are cards that have very little value, then it would make sense. But if the cards would be worth $100+, then a very poor decision.

Thumbs down on this one.

• Options
    edited July 17, 2021 4:12PM

@RufussCkingston said:
    So for 25 cards, you are paying $20 per card. You could have sent them to SGC for $30 a card and got back something that is respectable and sell-able when the time comes. Instead, you've saved $250 to get some nice sealed cardsavers that have only negative resale value. I know you say don't care about resale, but won't you be embarrassed showing them to other "knowledgeable" collector friends? I guess if these are cards that have very little value, then it would make sense. But if the cards would be worth $100+, then a very poor decision.

Thumbs down on this one.

I get your point. It's fair. I don't have any friends, so I'm good on that front anyway. :) They are fairly valuable cards if in a good slab. Just want them slabbed for now. Thanks for the feedback...genuinely.

• Options

@steel75 said:
    Seems more like a lack of patience. Sleeve/toploader the cards and wait. What's the rush to get them in a slab if not re-selling?

Spot on, impatience. I admit it. I did preface the thread acknowledging that GMA is not a real player but 1) they are available, 2) cheap, and 3) quick turnaround. Thanks for the fB. This is why I come to the board. Great insights!

• Options

@steel75 said:

OCD I suppose. You're point is a good one.

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:

Thumbs down on this one.

for sure -- if you just couldn't wait to get them into a slab, then you should have used SGC...only a bit more per card and get them back quicker than you may get them back from GMA

• Options

@Kepper19 said:

@RufussCkingston said:

Thumbs down on this one.

for sure -- if you just couldn't wait to get them into a slab, then you should have used SGC...only a bit more per card and get them back quicker than you may get them back from GMA

I have many SGC cards, didn't realize their turnaround times were so good (these days). Oh well. I am good. Just trying to enjoy the ride, not the race. :)

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2021 6:30PM

It looks like Acuna is staring at the flip saying “What the hell did you do to me?!”