Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A very nice semi-widget - 1936-B Swiss Franc

GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 17, 2021 11:53AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I always have wanted one of these in gem condition, and today I found one that I liked at a local coin shop. For your enjoyment I present this 1936-B Swiss Franc, graded PCGS MS67 in an old 7-digit blue holder. Mintage of 500,000 which makes it a semi-widget, I think.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

terrific coin and not a widget... or semi-widget

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Actually, I don't know what constitutes a widget these days. How is that defined - anyone?

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me, it would be a coin that's not particularly difficult to find.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a very nice example of an 85 year old coin. Don't worry about if it is a widget or not.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

No widgets. Let the US coin folks worry about that nonsense.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very nice coin. not easy to find in extreme grades.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

The interesting thing is, the design first came out in 1875. And I thought that the Seated Liberty motif was in use for a long time!

• Options

As it turns out it's not a widget, as some of you have mentioned. I am in dangerous territory right now, in that I am so tempted to start collecting these. Somebody, please talk me out of it, as it is a 59-coin project, if one collects the business strikes. My OCD is kicking in....

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well! There's a few toughies that will cost a healthy sum if that is your grade goal! Are you sure it's only 59 coins? Are you leaving off the 19th century? That would greatly lessen the cost. For sure your only figuring the silver as there are probably that many that aren't silver.

@GotTheBug said:
    As it turns out it's not a widget, as some of you have mentioned. I am in dangerous territory right now, in that I am so tempted to start collecting these. Somebody, please talk me out of it, as it is a 59-coin project, if one collects the business strikes. My OCD is kicking in....

• Options
    TokeiskiTokeiski Posts: 23 ✭✭✭

As Laura would say, what kind of Dreck Widget is that?! :D

The entire Swiss Franc series (2 Franc, 1 Franc and 1/2 Franc) is great to collect, and there are some high grade, and nicely toned coins out there.

Here is my 1936 B MS68 very clean and semi-prooflike

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Well! There's a few toughies that will cost a healthy sum if that is your grade goal! Are you sure it's only 59 coins? Are you leaving off the 19th century? That would greatly lessen the cost. For sure your only figuring the silver as there are probably that many that aren't silver.

According to the PCGS Set Registry, 59 coins are required to complete the silver set. MS67 is a nice grade to own, but my fiscal reality dictates that circulated pieces would be the norm for the earliest dates. 1857-B is the set killer, with 526 pieces minted and there's only 1 MS67 graded by PCGS.

The more I think about it, while writing this, the more I am inclined to just window shop. Still, I'm a sucker for the beauty of these Swiss coins and I always enjoy a good treasure hunt....

• Options

@Tokeiski said:
    As Laura would say, what kind of Dreck Widget is that?! :D

The entire Swiss Franc series (2 Franc, 1 Franc and 1/2 Franc) is great to collect, and there are some high grade, and nicely toned coins out there.

Here is my 1936 B MS68 very clean and semi-prooflike

Holy Schmidt! That's beautiful! It looks like somebody took it straight from the die and into safe storage. Congratulations on owning such a wonderful piece.

• Options
    TokeiskiTokeiski Posts: 23 ✭✭✭

@GotTheBug said:
    Holy Schmidt! That's beautiful! It looks like somebody took it straight from the die and into safe storage. Congratulations on owning such a wonderful piece.

Thank you. The nice thing about the Swiss Franc denomination series is that there were a few rolls years ago that produced a nice bunch of very high grade coins. I was lucky enough to run into an extremely nice dealer/collector at FUN more than 10
    years ago and was able to purchase a nice group of these. I wish I had purchased everything he had....... :/

Here is another Dreck Widget :D