Home Q & A Forum
Options

PCGS Regrading

If I have a coin that was graded without the attribute PL. I would like to send it back for re-grading and have PCGS look at it to see if they will designate the PL. Is it possible that they will add it? The reason I ask is because I thought that they will only add an attribute if you pay the fee to have the attribute considered. Am I right?

https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/r3/82jss0i6cte5.jpg
https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/ii/mjslnkeqvptj.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2021 11:03PM

"If I have a coin that was graded without the attribute PL."

Then PCGS didn't think it meets the standard for a PL designation.

"I would like to send it back for re-grading and have PCGS look at it to see if they will designate the PL."

You can do that if you like. Good chance you will be throwing your money away.

"Is it possible that they will add it?"

Yes

"The reason I ask is because I thought that they will only add an attribute if you pay the fee to have the attribute considered." Am I right?

They do not charge extra for the PL designation and you do not need to request it be reviewed for PL qualities.
    If it meets the standard for PL they put that on the holder as part of the normal grading process.

• Options

I watched a video on PL morgan dollars and it said that if it shows reflection between 2 to 4 inches, it is proof like. I don't know why PCGS would have missed it. Maybe because the face is dirty or has no shine? I wouldn't know. According to PCGS standards, this coin is supposed to be PL. Here are 2 more pictures that I took from 4" away.

• Options

Here is a picture from PCGS website for MS 63, but it says PR, not PL. Maybe the grader was new and didn't think of distinguishing proof from proof like.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1879-O looks as if it very well might have deserved the PL designation. I believe you’d need to resubmit it as a regrade for the designation, just as you would for a higher grade.

The 1884-O doesn’t look PL and it’s certainly not a Proof.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

MFeld, thank you for your response.

The 1884 Morgan picture is a picture I downloaded from the PCGS website.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1879-o-1/7090

Any idea why PCGS did not designate the 1879-O Morgan dollar as PL? My concern is paying to have the coin re-graded and PCGS still not putting the PL designation on the slab. I'm thinking that there might be a reason.

I noticed that PCGS does not complicate things by asking to check boxes for attributes to be designated, and PGCS does not charge for adding attributes like NGC does. PGCS costs more for grading but at least they don't make submitting coins as hard as NGC.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse on your 1879 O appears to have some nice contrast and the fields appear reflective. I would say PL.
    The obverse appears to have some contrast but the fields don't appear as reflective as the reverse.
    Good chance the obverse may be what held it back.
    It is hard to tell for sure from your photos but it does look PL in your photos, It's easy to see why you are questioning it.
    It is not uncommon to re-grade and get a better grade or in your case a PL designation.
    It's about like the first time you sent it in, you have a 50/50 shot at it.
    If you send it back, expect the worse and hope for the best. ;)

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

@geminiguy90028 said:
    MFeld, thank you for your response.

The 1884 Morgan picture is a picture I downloaded from the PCGS website.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1879-o-1/7090

Any idea why PCGS did not designate the 1879-O Morgan dollar as PL? My concern is paying to have the coin re-graded and PCGS still not putting the PL designation on the slab. I'm thinking that there might be a reason.

I noticed that PCGS does not complicate things by asking to check boxes for attributes to be designated, and PGCS does not charge for adding attributes like NGC does. PGCS costs more for grading but at least they don't make submitting coins as hard as NGC.

Sorry, I can't tell from the images.
    I don't know which designations you were speaking of, but as far as I know, NGC doesn't charge extra for common ones such as "PL", "FBL", etc.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.