Home Q & A Forum
Options

Are Stacks Bowers and Heritage Auctions photography public domain?

YoloBagelsYoloBagels Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a research project and have found the pictures in the Stacks Bowers archive to be extremely helpful. I am wondering if these images are considered public domain? And what about Heritage?

Thanks,
Chris

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think both hold the rights to their photos and you need to request permission for use.
    They will generally grant permission for education purposes or to promote the hobby.

Depending on how you use them you may or may not have problems if you don't ask permission.

• Options
    YoloBagelsYoloBagels Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    I think both hold the rights to their photos and you need to request permission for use.
    They will generally grant permission for education purposes or to promote the hobby.

Depending on how you use them you may or may not have problems if you don't ask permission.

It's completely private right now but if I ever want to release it to the public I'll check with them. Thanks.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2021 7:18AM

Just be sure and get permission. explain what you wish to do. Normally there is NO issue and they happily grant permission.
    Also, read the website about what they say. There may be permission granted already somewhere.
    it could be a mistake to take the opinion: it is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.......that could be expensive. The copyright belongs to the original Creator unless it is "sold or given or etc or) I believe it goes into "public domain" after 20 years. US courts are very tough with CR issues.
    Note: CR does apply automatically, but it is better if you register it covering your items.
    Further, if you use images from others, the "maker or Owner" usually ask for the credit to be noted prominently.
    If I take an image of YOU with your camera..... who owns the CR to the picture????/, Yes, I do!!! (technically and legally) not you.
    I was involved in a CR case where our host had a very, very small part in it by confirming that they did not have the right to give permission to someone to copy and Dwnld coin images posted in this forum and use them otherwise. in this case for profit.
    If in doubt, get permission in writing (email etc) before you start anything.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life