Home Q & A Forum
Options

2021 Quarter first error find

Check it out and its not the Airman one

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you think is wrong

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    TunaMcButterTunaMcButter Posts: 19
    edited July 15, 2021 8:32PM

well as one who is not very versed in errors i will point out what i see
    it appears the die shifted during the strike process also some weakness in the die there are lots of gouges and striations in the metal under the top letters and over some of the parts of Washington's pony tail, there should be a set of initials in Washington's neck that are just globs of metal I almost thought this was PMD until I noticed the striations are under the letters and the doubling in the O

• Options

the initials and the radial lines are from a well used die.

the initials have lost definition

the lines are metal flow lines. as the planchet is struck, metals pushes slightly out from the center. despite the mint using lubricant on dies to extend die life, the dies still get slowly etched. this is a mild case to some I've seen.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2021 8:40PM

I'm in the Die Deterioration column.

• Options
    edited July 15, 2021 9:21PM

It also appears to have die grease imbedded in the coin so either way WIN for me as die error is what I thought there is more on both sides of the coin but you did ask me what I thought was wrong so i wanted to point out the specific things I saw, so what do you all think get it slabbed as an error coin? I also think there was a shift in the die why the large shadowing that is not really caused by light but by the shift

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TunaMcButter said:
    die grease imbedded in the coin so either way WIN for me as die error

No

@TunaMcButter said:
    so what do you all think get it slabbed as an error coin?

No

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

"WIN for me as die error"

Not a die error.

"what do you all think get it slabbed as an error coin?"

Not worth slabbing

As others have mentioned it is a worn die or die erosion.
    It is very common and the more you search your change you will understand how common it is.
    Here is one that shows kind of a sunburst on the obverse, same worn die problem.
    Sorry I don't have a better photo.

• Options
    edited July 16, 2021 6:19PM

Oh okay so what exactly should I look for? also thank you all for your kindness and helping an old fart learn these things and not just dismissing me offhand.

• Options

finding errors in rolls is rare but possible. a lot get pulled out when found.

you can learn about errors here: http://www.error-ref.com/

if you like things like doubled dies: http://varietyvista.com/

• Options
  • Options

thanks

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slab it is the question ?
    Keep it safe in your hope chest so to say, I really suggest that, could come in handy when your collection grows and its free.
    Look for a MS 66 or above of this coin many are out there right now.
    Just an educated guess.
    P.S. Don't slab that one either until you remember. "Hey I have one of them"
    Research it and it will fall right in your lap. Miller once said, "Time and Pressure"
    Lol

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also see die deterioration, including the apparent doubling.

Even if there was a "shift in the die" it would have just been Machine Doubling, not worth anything.

But, as a reference piece it mufhr be worth holding onto. It will help you learn, and knowledge will get you to spotting real errors down the road.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die deterioration.