Home Q & A Forum
Options

2 seated liberties 2 different grades opinions please

Hi all I am posting images of 2 coins of the same type form different years, i am looking for your opinions on the grades of these coins based entirely off of the images in front of you and your empierce as coin collectors/dealers one of these coins is an AU 55 and the other is an MS 66 and i just want your opinions on which one is which and what you see that tells you it is. This is not a gotcha thing i am looking for your honest onion. so I can learn.
One coin is an AU 55 the other is an MS 66

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

Top coin is the 66
    Bottom coin is the 55

The top coin has a die clash that may be throwing you off and appearing as damage or scratches.

The bottom coin has a cloudy patches on the obverse fields that would indicate circulation.
    It also has flat spots on the eagles talons.

• Options
    TunaMcButterTunaMcButter Posts: 19
    edited July 15, 2021 12:43AM

here is everything i noticed about the top coin, while i agree with you on the dieclashes there is obvious wear not casued by die clashes on the chest, sheild, sandel, arm and thighs, if you look at the reverse those same wear marks do not appear on the eagle however there is wear on the left wing that does no coinsde with the die clash and thanks I just feel like the big dog grading compaines could care less about the little guy who might subit 4 or 5 coins. I dont thinnk they really spend the time on your coins its a gloss over and a grade.

• Options

The stuff you are seeing is not wear on the coin it is more of a weak strike or lost details from die polishing. ;)

• Options

ah okay thanks that helps me understand a bit more, so why dont weak strikes lower the grade of a coin? might sound like a dumb question but learning is key

• Options

so why don't weak strikes lower the grade of a coin?

A weak strike can keep a coin from getting a 70 grade.
    On the other side a real strong strike could cause a coin to bump up a grade.

The grade should be primarily based on contact marks or wear on the coin.