Home Sports Talk
Options

The space thread

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

Due to the NFL offseason, I've been watching a lot of space documentaries lately, and therefore I can no longer contain my desire to do a space thread. I've also decided that I wish I was smart enough to be an astrophysicist.

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

gotta getcha one of these:

• Options

The image above is called a black hole, and they exist in space, and if Earth ever has an encounter with one, we're in big trouble. They move through space and gobble up anything in their path.

• Options

@blurryface said:
    gotta getcha one of these:

That is awesome!

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

not my thread but may i make a motion to the floor that any lebron space jam posts are strictly prohibited?

• Options

@blurryface said:
    not my thread but may i make a motion to the floor that any lebron space jam posts are strictly prohibited?

Motion granted!

• Options

Ok everyone, it's 8:57 p.m., way past my bedtime so we'll pick this back up tomorrow. I leave you with this image of a burning sun!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an older Celestron SCT C9.5 - we bring it out every now and then. My wife is only 5'1" and she whips it around like she does telling me to wash the dishes - LOL! We take pics through the eyepiece .........as we don't have any kind of fancy cameras that attach to it.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2021 6:24PM

@doubledragon said:
    The image above is called a black hole, and they exist in space, and if Earth ever has an encounter with one, we're in big trouble. They move through space and gobble up anything in their path.

There is one (maybe 2) in every galaxy center (supposedly) - their rotation is what makes the galaxies spin. Our puny solar system is so far away from the center of our galaxy (The Milky Way is our galaxy) we'll never have to worry about being consumed by the central black hole.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@doubledragon said:

There is one (maybe 2) in every galaxy center (supposedly) - their rotation is what makes the galaxies spin. Our puny solar system is so far away from the center of our galaxy (The Milky Way is our galaxy) we'll never have to worry about being consumed by the central black hole.

I hope not because it would be the end of everything, it would literally tear us apart, nothing can escape the gravitational pull of a black hole.

• Options

The Mars face, it was discovered in 1976, and it is very creepy looking.

• Options

Books have been written about the Mars face.

• Options

Wait folks, there's actually another Mars face as well.

• Options

extremely cool. have never seen the crowned face, thank you!

• Options

@blurryface said:
    extremely cool. have never seen the crowned face, thank you!

You're welcome, it is awesome, and very creepy!

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

The face on Mars wants us to know we can save hundreds with Geico.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph