Home Q & A Forum
Options

Do you insure your mail shipments?

OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

I have noticed over the years that shipments of coins are rarely insured. I buy high cost rare coins from top dealers, sometimes eBay, a variety of mints and very few times are they insured. I’ve never had a problem as a buyer or seller but with the proliferation of mail thieves this seems like a area ripe with opportunity. Is insurance something I need to reconsider?

Best Answer

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

usually, dealers and auction houses have their own insurance. The item is technically theirs until you have received it. This is the way it is in Europe and I believe it is also here in Canada and USA like that.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Answers

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2021 6:27PM

@Orlena said:
    Do you insure your mail shipments?
    I have noticed over the years that shipments of coins are rarely insured.

Coins?......all the time and every time! Where exactly have you noticed that?

• Options

Seems like all the shipments from the US Mint, Royal mint, Canadian mint are shipped economy. Also a couple of larger dealers I have purchased from ship registered but not necessarily insured. I may be mistaken but I don’t think so.

I have some large ticket items on eBay and I’m definitely insuring them all as they go out.

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm only referencing my coins going and coming from TPG'ers.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ship almost everything USPS and everything under $200 I self insure/roll the dice.
    Everything over $200 gets insurance.
    Most items over $1000 are sent Registered & insured.

• Options

Thanks to all for responses. I think I’ll insure everything over $100

• Options

I only ship USPS and Insure all my coins I send for grading.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. USPS Registered fee includes insurance at declared value.
    2. Any value over $1000, it is normally cheaper to send insured registered.
    3. If item is bullion a usps claim will only be paid in full if sent registered. Otherwise you get a token <$20 reimbursement for your loss

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    I ship almost everything USPS and everything under $200 I self insure/roll the dice.
    Everything over $200 gets insurance.
    Most items over $1000 are sent Registered & insured.

This.

Ken
  • Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had so many items mis-directed and even lost - can not trust the USPS for 1 nano second. I vote to insure.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    jimineez1jimineez1 Posts: 439 ✭✭✭

I insure if over $500 or so, but use a 3rd party and they require signature confirmation. My package normally just looks like a regular uninsured priority mail box but it is insured. USPS insurance on priority is worthless (esp for bullion metals ) but it’s much more expensive than my insurer charges. Once over $5000 it goes registered and insurance is similar in cost.
    All that said, the usps has been great through the years and my boxes always get delivered so far.

FYI some of the big guys I know use fedex.

Almost Over 100 successful deals on this forum spanning well over 10 years now, feel free to ask for references!