Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Erasmus Hall Collection of Walking Liberty and IKEs Available

As I am maturing blush: , I have had to focus my collection. According, these are the first members of the Erasmus Hall collection open for adoption. See the Buy, Sell, and Trade forum.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1060207/from-the-erasmus-hall-collection-via-great-collections/p1?new=1

Casabrown

Comments

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Casabrown, as a fellow collector also originally from Brooklyn, NY, I have admired over the years MANY of your VERY high ranked Type Sets. I wish you the best of luck in your partial sale, and I hope each of the lots has at least two collectors who want that lot real bad!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Thank you so much for your heartfelt comments. Collecting and Brooklyn are a wonderful combination.

Casabrown

Here are two of the IKEs

Casabrown

Here are two of the Walkers:

• CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 199 ✭✭✭

The Walkers are sweet!

All four coins will sell themselves.

Thanks so much. From your mouth to the ears of collectors on earth!!!

TTT

TTT

Just two more days until the auction

Wow, there are a lot of enthusiastic IKE collectors. Just one more day until the conclusion of the auction.

Here is the link again:

https://www.greatcollections.com/search.php?q=Erasmus+Hall&mode=product&sort=01

Casabrown

This is the last day for the auction of IKEs from the Erasmus Hall collection on Great Collections

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't worry, there will be plenty of bids near the end as usual, to probably prevent me from getting the one I am after ;)

i pray that you get at least one even if it is at my expense! Don't tell my wife :)

Some of the Ike's did crazy well. Congratulations on your timing.

I hope my lots of other business strikes in other denominations do as well.

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Don't worry, there will be plenty of bids near the end as usual, to probably prevent me from getting the one I am after ;)

Goldminers- Did you win the one you wanted?

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

“Don't worry, there will be plenty of bids near the end as usual, to probably prevent me from getting the one I am after ;)
    Goldminers- Did you win the one you wanted?
    Wondercoin

As expected, no coins for me. Unfortunately I do not have unlimited funds for rare coins like some people these days. The 1973-S I wanted went for almost double the last 4 sales of that coin type, which were around $5,000. While I would have liked to own one, I just could not justify bidding $10,000 at the end to try to get it.

“As expected, no coins for me. Unfortunately I do not have unlimited funds for rare coins like some people these days. The 1973-S I wanted went for almost double the last 4 sales of that coin type, which were around $5,000. While I would have liked to own one, I just could not justify bidding $10,000 at the end to try to get it.”

I was concerned that you might just bid to the moon on that 73-S. So, you were not the underbidder on the coin? I won that coin and was happy to “overpay” knowing the funds were going to Larry (despite his prayers that it would sell for less). Larry and I have done business on a few Ikes in the past and one never knows for sure the direction these highly sought after coins take. This time, I was ok with seeing Larry “double up” on his purchase of this exact same coin that was last sold on GC just a few years ago for around half of what I just paid. Dinner on Larry next time I’m in NYC!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Thank so much Wondercoin.

Yes dinner is on me the next time you are in NYC

@wondercoin said:
    “As expected, no coins for me. Unfortunately I do not have unlimited funds for rare coins like some people these days. The 1973-S I wanted went for almost double the last 4 sales of that coin type, which were around $5,000. While I would have liked to own one, I just could not justify bidding $10,000 at the end to try to get it.”

I was concerned that you might just bid to the moon on that 73-S. So, you were not the underbidder on the coin? I won that coin and was happy to “overpay” knowing the funds were going to Larry (despite his prayers that it would sell for less). Larry and I have done business on a few Ikes in the past and one never knows for sure the direction these highly sought after coins take. This time, I was ok with seeing Larry “double up” on his purchase of this exact same coin that was last sold on GC just a few years ago for around half of what I just paid. Dinner on Larry next time I’m in NYC!

Wondercoin

When I looked at the Registry while contemplating my max bid, I saw that DLH already owned two of the 4, but had started a third basic Ike set that also needed this one along with Oldsmagnet and a couple other key collectors. Since you already had the All-Time top Ike set with varieties, I had a strong feeling you would be bidding on this scarce coin to improve your basic Ike set based on my guess on rating points, (and also improve your All-Time top complete with variety set even further).

I am not really a major Ike collector, but more a modern silver collector, so I am glad that you were able to get it. Great that you won the coin and could help Larry as well. A triple win for you. I will be happy with my MS68 OGH a while longer.

I guess alls well that ends well!

“A triple win for you. “

In one sense. In another sense, I am not a fan of anyone having the right to register 2 or 3 (or 4) out of the top 5 registry sets of anything. First, it has a chilling effect on anyone wanting to compete in that series (you said it yourself Goldminers). Second, the spirit of the registry was never about a single mega-rich person controlling most, if not all, of the top 5 slots of a collection. Sure, it made sense to have a possible second set (even somewhere in the top 20 usually) to register one’s dupes. The registry was never about one person controlling every position in the registry. Would it make sense to award the gold, silver and bronze medal for an event to the same person in the Olympics?

Food for thought.

Wondercoin

Amen!!!

edited July 27, 2021 2:14PM

I totally agree that when one person can bid basically anything to attempt, and often succeed, to own all of the available top pop coins, like these 4 Ike's in the Registry, it is completely demoralizing. I have a specific coin coming up at auction that I have been wanting to get for a set I have been working on for more than 30 years. I see that they are now collecting that set in the last year and I know it will be very challenging to try to compete for that coin. I was hoping if they had one already, I would have a chance, but if they want to collect more than one now, that is a problem.

I agree that this should result in a revision in PCGS guidelines on set registry. How can we have our voices heard?

Larry. I believe set registry (for coins) is now run by these two fine folks…

JKiskis@collectors.com
    Pcooley@collectors.com

Wondercoin

Goldminers- time to sell? I’ve thought about that a lot as well. Maybe someone will want sets #1,2,3,4,5 in a certain registry. One day- if allowed to continue- maybe sets #1-20 owned by one person or entity, filling up the entire registry first page! The times they are a changing!

Wondercoin.

edited July 28, 2021 4:33PM

Times are a changing, but if someone really wants to buy them all, I don't believe changing the registry structure will prevent that. However, it could allow some positions to be available to more collectors, if multiple sets by the same owner were not allowed to be active or published in the All-Time Finest list.

Also retired modern sets in the All-Time lists should be revised down in positions to reflect what current % of the coins in the updated set with more dates they actually owned.

Some beautiful Walkers available until tomorrow on Great Collections